Roatan snorkeling pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave C

Contributor
Reaction score
I have lurked here for a long time and have admired many of your photos. I recently returned from a trip to Roatan and have posted some underwater photos at this website:

http://www.pbase.com/dave_clausen/roatan_2006_underwater

I am just a snorkeler without any fancy equipment, so please excuse my lack of professionalism. One thing I have been wondering about is how does snorkeling compare with scuba when it comes to difficulty of taking photos? It seems to me snorkeling has one distinct advantage: because of shallow depth, you can use available light in many cases and thus you may not have to deal with using a strobe. However, snorkeling has a few big disadvantages:
1) You can’t control your buoyancy like you do in scuba, since you are constantly going between the surface and the bottom. Surge also affects you a lot in shallow water. Because of these two problems, the only way I can get decent pictures is to dive down and hold onto a rock with one hand while snapping the picture with the other. While I am always careful not to grab onto a piece of coral, this does raise ethical issues with some people if they are of the “no touch at all” mindset.
2) When you dive down, most of the fish swim away, and then you run out of breath and have to surface. As a snorkeler, you can’t “wait for the fish to come back”, as several diving photo guidebooks recommend.
3) Because in snorkeling you are going up and down the water column so much in shallow water where the light level changes greatly, it doesn’t appear practical to me to do any white balance adjustment.

I would appreciate any feedback about these points and about my photos. Also, could anyone explain to me how to imbed one or two of my photos in this message? I could try to experiment myself, but I fear the dreaded red x would appear. I would like to copy them from pbase, as the files are available in smaller sizes there than they are on my computer.

Dave,

For a new UW photographer and also snorkelling, you have a lot of nice shots, good job. To imbed a picture go to the advanced view of adding a thread or reply. You'll see an icon on the right side of the top bar that imbeds an image. It has a mountain on it.

Here is one of your pictures...
58426154.Cochinos_kingcrab_seafan.jpg

Photography is patience...
Underwater photography is a pain...
Snorkeling photography has to be extremely difficult...
You're photos are very, very good... I think if you could stay underwater longer (say with a tank full of air?) you could have even better pics-- or more of them cuz yours are already pretty good!

DaveC

As someone who has taken u\w pics while snorkelling for many years, I can honestly say that I have none to compare with what you have here - great job! All the difficulties you list, and more! are true when it comes to taking pics whilst snorkelling. It's almost impossible!

Get yourself certified, get a better camera - Oly, Canon or Fuji - should be able to get a decent non-strobe set-up quite cheaply - and off you go! You have the eye for it man, you should be able to sell your stuff! If you dive to say, 15m, you can use a magic filter or similar, and get some pretty good natural light photos, reefscapes etc. ( Hope to do the same myself shortly:D )

White balance - I have the Canon S80, and it has an Underwater white balance setting - don't know about the Oly or the Fuji equivalents. Or, use a magic filter and go for manual white balance for natural light pics. ( from 3 - 15m, apparently) I have some, but haven't tried them - yet!

Have to say that taking pics whilst diving is far, far easier in my humble opinion than whilst snorkelling. Your pics are fab anyway - think how much better they'll be when you can do it all so much slower, without the need to surface between shots..........

Once again, GREAT job!

Jeff

Wonderful pictures. Thanks so much for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom