Roatan in May or June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colo_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to put together a trip to Fantasy Island either May 13 to the 20th or June 3 to the 10........ anyone interested let me know we are looking at approx $675 for the week per person double occupanacy of course (land only) with 3 meals a day and 3 dives a day priced out air from Denver and it looks like Continental is 590 or so to Roatan from Denver........ so a total of about $1245 of course depending on airfare

Your a week too early for me. I'm looking at June 10th-24th. I'm a teacher and we don't get out until the 9th. If you go in May I'm sure I will be asking you questions when you return.

After being eaten alive by the dreaded Roatan sand flies in 1997,I think they can do without my blood for a wee bit longer........LOL

Seriously though,I am looking at a wreck diving excursion to NC in June so if that strikes a chord with anyone,let me hear from you......sure you dont wont to wreck dive?

colo_diver, I'm already going to Roatan-Coco view- with a group from here on SB. Dee is in charge. We are going May 13th -20th. I do believe that there are two rooms still available if ya want to join up with us. The airfare I just booked was $680.00. (from SLC) The rest of the trip is $1050.00. That includes food, room and diving too.

So, markd_ you say the sand flies are bad there? What if anything can you do about them? Does the everyday repellant work or will I need something special?

Queenie KSue:
So, markd_ you say the sand flies are bad there? What if anything can you do about them? Does the everyday repellant work or will I need something special?

If you don't lie in the sand... That helps. Regular repellant works too. My wife got bitten worse than I did...

Even with repellent,some people are magnets for them (Like me!).......some people aren't!DEET repellents seem to give the best results......but as some of our party could attest to,its probably not a good idea to apply DEET over the open wounds left by the sand flies......then you have a whole different set of issues to deal with LOL............you'll love the diving there and an interesting piece of info from the locals......they DO eat barracuda there.......I asked them about how they could tell the difference from a ciguatera toxin cuda and non-ciguatera cuda.........they cut a piece of flesh off the cuda and place it in an ant mound,if the ants eat it it is ok for human consumption :wink:

Enjoy your diving there :)

Mark

markd_nscr986:
Even with repellent,some people are magnets for them (Like me!).......some people aren't!DEET repellents seem to give the best results......but as some of our party could attest to,its probably not a good idea to apply DEET over the open wounds left by the sand flies......then you have a whole different set of issues to deal with LOL............you'll love the diving there and an interesting piece of info from the locals......they DO eat barracuda there.......I asked them about how they could tell the difference from a ciguatera toxin cuda and non-ciguatera cuda.........they cut a piece of flesh off the cuda and place it in an ant mound,if the ants eat it it is ok for human consumption :wink:

Enjoy your diving there :)

Mark
Maybe we can have a piece of ant crusted cuda for dinner!! I bet ants crisp up nicely :07:

I'll make sure I have plenty of deet with me then.

I got a message from Dee, that come Dec. she has to turn back the rooms she had set aside for us that hadn't been rented out yet. So, if anyone is interested, you'll need to contact Dee right away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom