Roatan immunizations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wi divers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are going from US to Roatán, what are recommended immunizations?

CDC and WHO both list Hep A, Hep B, Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Rabies, MMR, and the list goes on.

Based on recommendations, it’s a wonder anyone would leave there house.

thanks,

WI Divers

During our trips to Roatan, we consulted a travel medicine provider and made sure all our immunizations were current, and we received immunizations for Hep A and Typhoid. I was already immunized for Hep B because of my job. We also took anti-malaria medication before, during, and after the trips.

While we were there we were careful about food and water consumption and used products to help protect us against biting insects. There is a risk of Malaria, Dengue, Chikungunya, Zika, and Typhoid, and other food-borne illnesses on that lovely, little island.

Rabies is for folks likely to be working with mammals. Typhoid, hep a and b, and tetanus are important. You might already be current on tetanus. MMR and any childhood vaccines should be current.

Hep c matters if you're likely to be exposed to body fluids.

Rabies is for folks likely to be working with mammals. Typhoid, hep a and b, and tetanus are important. You might already be current on tetanus. MMR and any childhood vaccines should be current.

Hep c matters if you're likely to be exposed to body fluids.

But there is no vaccine for Hep C.

I definitely think you should also consider anti-malarial meds for Roatan. The drugs are cheap and the most prevalent strain of malaria in the Bay Islands is not the most resistant strain, so the recommended meds don't have all the side-effects associated with some malaria drugs.

The risk is small, but I wouldn't chance it. Even though Plasmodium vivax (the Roatan strain of malaria) is not the most resistant - it is very persistent and hard to eradicate after you come down with the infection. It keeps coming back for a long time.

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, but whenever someone recommends Roatan as a cheap dive vacation destination I have to think "but what about the medical expenses?". Living and diving in Roatan is inexpensive but the airfares can be pricey, and the pre-travel doctor's visits and immunizations weren't cheap - and our insurance only covered a few things, not the bulk of it.

Or you could live dangerously and go with what you currently have: tetanus and childhood vaccines. If you don't plan on eating stuff off the sidewalk and drinking pond water, those plus good insect repellent might be sufficient.

Or you could live dangerously and go with what you currently have: tetanus and childhood vaccines. If you don't plan on eating off stuff the sidewalk and drinking pond water, those plus good insect repellent might be sufficient.

Yup. Hepatitis is good to have regardless of where you go, but if you're basically hanging out around the pool, diving and eating at legit restaurants, I suspect the risk is minimal.

I generally gorge on something like Lactobacillus for a couple of weeks before leaving and while I'm there... well, anywhere. It will boost your gut and help you resist minor GI issues. Failing that, eat lots of yogurt.

We are going from US to Roatán, what are recommended immunizations?

CDC and WHO both list Hep A, Hep B, Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Rabies, MMR, and the list goes on.

Based on recommendations, it’s a wonder anyone would leave there house.

thanks,

WI Divers

I don’t doubt you, but just make sure on the CDC website you note any distinction between the Bay Islands and mainland Honduras. It’s been awhile, but I vaguely recall Yellow Fever only being a concern on the mainland. Of course, these things seem to change faster than ever.

Back
Top Bottom