Roatan Dive Honeymoon Resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JHaldane

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My fiance and I are going to be getting married next May and looking at having our honeymoon in Roatan around early June. We plan on spending about 10 days in Roatan, a week of which is planned on diving.

I am a bit of dive experience but have not dove in approximately 8 years and my fiance has just finished her OW course. We are planning a trip to Monterey in a couple months to get some additional experience for her and refresh my skills.

We originally looked at Anthony's Key Resort and loved the look of it, however someone else recommended Mayan Princess and we love the look of that resort as well.

What would be pros and cons of each resort?

Thank you!

Anthony's Key Resort is a DIVE resort.
Mayan Princess is a resort with diving

Big difference to an avid diver, not much difference to a casual diver.

Anthony's Key is going to have everything geared around the boat operation times, as most guests are divers or snorkelers. Meals are served at the times that fit the schedules. It is an all-inclusive, so breakfast lunch and dinner are included. I think all drinks are extra, as well as tips for DMs and rental gear are extra $. Everyone becomes friendly, chat with everyone as you see them on dive boats, etc. Most people stay a full week, arriving and leaving on Saturdays (where flights come in). Dive resorts are like that.There are some families at AKR, and nightly entertainment, with most people hitting the sack before 10pm as diving requires sleep.

Mayan Princess is going to be more like a regular hotel.

Reactions: Doc
If you want a bit of luxury, and great diving, and can do without easy access to a party scene I would really recommend Barefoot Caye Resort or even the Barefoot Dive Lodge. I am CocoView devotee but I stopped in at Barefoot and it looked really great for a romantic getaway. It also has the benefit of road access so you can get to the West End for dinner etc.
Roatán Luxury Resort & Private Cay Diving | Barefoot Cay™ Resort | Dive and experience Barefoot Cay, a luxury boutique resort in the Caribbean , located on a 4-acre private cay on the south shore of Roatán Island.
Roatan 5-Star PADI Dive Center & Lodging | Barefoot Divers | Experience Barefoot Daivers in the Roatan, Bay Islands.

Congratulations on your engagement!

I second the Barefoot recommendation and I have been/dove there. It's real nice property - a few small villas on the cay - their water taxi is the only way over (100') The dive shop is on the land side and there was a small marina there but no boats when we were there. Nice dive operation, newish Scubapro gear - my buddy said their rentals looked better than his gear. Two smaller boats IIRC - the 9 of us were their business that morning. The DM said not all villa guests dive so it's rarely crowded. Mary's Place is 5mins off their dock - maybe later in the week they'll take you there - it's sort of advanced.

The beach is nice, they treat it for sand flies. A fringing reef calms the lagoon n front of it but no diving - only about 18' deep at the far end. The pool area is nice and they have a spa. Good food.
It's about 5mins. away from French Harbor also and
a few of the other non-dive attractions on that side.

Understand that AKR is 10 minutes from anything not at AKR.

Another upscale honeymoon choice - Xbalanque. Have not been there but know where it is. Recommended by others here.

One advantage to Mayan Princess is it's on the best beach on Roatan. This probably means Panga diving as you wade out to the boat. A nice thing about West Bay is the assortment of other restaurants/shops/attractions along the beach. The West End is similar - maybe more nightlife there - and about 10mins from AKR. A downside is the cruisers excursions - often at Bananarama nearby. But they sail most evenings and have to shuttle back to the south side so leave pretty early.

Vintage Pearl there would be nice for dinner. Or Ooloonthoo in the West End - award winning regional chef - make a reservation as I believe they only do 2 seatings.

I was at AKR one night mid-week about 9pm. The place was dead - a few people in the bar. At most I'd do 7 days diving there then move elsewhere.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!!! I can't speak for the two resorts you mentioned. However we just returned yesterday from 10'days in Roatan. We stayed at Infinity Bay and dove with their dive shop. The diving was GREAT!!! I did 15 dives and feel much more confident and calm in the water.

Our teenagers came with us, that's one reason we stayed at IB. If it were just me and hubby, we'd stay somewhere smaller and quieter. West Bay gets very busy when the cruise ships are in.

If you want to do other things, I highly recommend an island tour with Cleve Bodden and a trip to Cayos Cochinos with Bay Island Adventures.

Have fun!!!

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. I’ve heard great things about Barefoot and Anthony’s Key, but my wife and I personally had a very good experience at Turquoise Bay, although it was quite a few years ago. It’s a little more secluded compared to many other resorts and the adjoining dive shop, Subway Watersports, was great.

Best of luck, in any event, may you and your beloved stay happy and dive together. And do post some pictures/video from your honeymoon...

We just got back from our honeymoon in Roatan! We stayed at the Mayan Princess for 7 nights and did 15 dives. All of the dives were guided by one of their dive guides which was nice for my wife as this was some of her first dives after being certified. We had an amazing time in Roatan.

This trip was also the first time I have done any underwater photography. I attached one of my favorite pictures from our night dive.

Thank you everyone for your input, definitely not a trip to be forgotten.

Attachments

• P6030400.JPG
    P6030400.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 53
So pleased for you and great capture of that octo! Thanks for coming back to the thread to tell us how it turned out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom