Roatan, Cozumel, or ___ for Junior OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lizzzzz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm AOW (but like to keep my dives relaxing and not too deep) and my 12 year old is excited to get his junior OW. He did a PDI Seal Team camp last summer followed by a discover scuba dive in the Caribbean, and loved it. We were slated to go to Roatan for his training + a family vacation a few weeks ago, but flights were cancelled multiple days to to fires on the mainland. I'd like to take advantage of the summer to have a long weekend somewhere so he can still do his certification; he already completed the SSI coursework at home and everything.

Here's my question: I love diving in Roatan for a new diver b/c it's fairly shallow, doesn't have currents, and feels very user friendly. We were going to use Clearwater (I dove with them last year and they're great), but might end up in West Bay instead. However, we live in Texas so I'm also considering Cozumel as an easy getaway, but I haven't been and am slightly nervous about the drift dives for a junior novice. If anyone can advise, I'd really appreciate! Similarly, if you have other recommendations for a quick getaway for this purpose I'm all ears. (Sadly, Bonaire flights look like they won't work.) What would people recommend?

Thank you!

I'm voting Roatan.

But the dives in Czm are a breeze. Weather, boat sherpas, and taxis, not so much. And don't be last on the boat, they can't count.

I'm voting Roatan.

But the dives in Czm are a breeze. Weather, boat sherpas, and taxis, not so much. And don't be last on the boat, they can't count.
Haha, I've read a few of those posts about not counting folks on boats — not gonna lie, it's part of my hesitation! That said, I've also heard Coz has world-class diving, so like anywhere else as long as I get a good operation with no cattle boats, right?

I saw some older threads about hiring a private DM in Coz. Food for thought if we do dives once he's certified. Thanks for your reply!

Did that. Our private boat started sinking after the second dive. The captain made us move forward to trim the boat.

And there's ghetto pier, dock pickup wars. You can pick up divers there, in that nice minefield. But not here, at the dock. So ours picked us up at the concrete pier by the cruise ships. Nearly died getting into the boat.

Just stick with your group, don't lose the boat. Keep your head up all week, and you'll be fine.

It's Mexico, afterall.

I would stay away from drift dives with a newly certified jr. open water diver. I had an expereince in Cozumel many years ago where my instabuddy for the trip inisisted on diving shallower on the drift dives than the rest of the group to conserve his air. He encountered faster currents at 40 feet than the rest of the group which was deeper.

Thank you! I was wondering about currents and depth, but wasn't sure if trends I'd encountered elsewhere (e.g., needing to get down faster to avoid currents) was the case is Coz. I'm leaning toward Roatan — not thrilled with my recent history of flight cancellations, which I've heard from others in the past, but it's the devil I know!

We're taking a family trip to Maui at the end of the summer, but my son isn't super keen to do his cert there and my experience (albeit in other Hawaiian Islands) is that the natural world can be extra big and fierce in Hawaii and I want to respect that. (I did incredible dives in Kauai and especially the Big Island, but wouldn't bring him there until he's older due to viz, big shark sightings, currents, non-tropical temps, etc., etc.).

@lizzzzz. I think you answered your own question in your opening post. Jr OW should be fun and relaxing for both of you. We took our 12 y/o grandson on a cruise that hit Coz, Roatan, and Costa Maya immediately after he got his Jr. OW cert. Everything was fine, but would not take him to Coz that soon after cert if we could get a do over. He had fun, but it was not fun or relaxing for us, and that was having him corralled between us. I would choose places where currents are not on the menu.

The easiest diving I've ever done is the reef dives on Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Divers. 25' or 30' max depth, no current, good viz. I know there has been some coral bleaching since I was there 10 years ago, though, so not sure if it's still decent diving.

@lizzzzz. I think you answered your own question in your opening post. Jr OW should be fun and relaxing for both of you. We took our 12 y/o grandson on a cruise that hit Coz, Roatan, and Costa Maya immediately after he got his Jr. OW cert. Everything was fine, but would not take him to Coz that soon after cert if we could get a do over. He had fun, but it was not fun or relaxing for us, and that was having him corralled between us. I would choose places where currents are not on the menu.
Thank you! This is very helpful. I've heard such wonderful things from fellow divers about Cozumel, but it was always in the context of ME doing the diving (not my kiddo). He's a great swimmer and all of that, but you hit the nail on the head about how hard it would be for me to relax with him in that context. Thank you!

The easiest diving I've ever done is the reef dives on Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Divers. 25' or 30' max depth, no current, good viz. I know there has been some coral bleaching since I was there 10 years ago, though, so not sure if it's still decent diving.
This is so helpful, thank you! We have family in south Florida and I've wondered about diving. (They're closer to Jupiter, which makes me nervous b/c of drift dives and currents — I'm fine doing it myself, but don't want to push anything with my son until he's comfortable.) Key Largo sounds like a great idea and I appreciate the dive outfit recommendation!

Back
Top Bottom