Roatan/CCV - water temps & wetsuit choice in March vs. early July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been to CCV 3x = all in March. My daughter and I have been diving our 5mm full suits in March since we typically get in 5 dives/day.....never feel too hot in the water and often have boat-mates wearing 3mm suits complaining about getting chilled on dives 4-5. Water temps on past trips have been 81+. Daughter would often start the afternoon dive in rash guard and bathing suit.....but would often go back to 5mm later.

Just about to go back.....I know everyone is different....I'm thinking 3mm since I assume water (and air) will be a shade warmer. 5mm would be WAY too much. We always bring rash guards as well.

This posting is mainly for 18 yo daughter who insists all she needs is a rash guard.....:cool2:

Any tips from Doc or other frequent Roatan-ers?

Also - anything new with immigration? I read the long thread from last fall about fingerprinting. Interesting that the Aeropuertos de Honduras web-site says the departure tax is now $39.97 - covienient amount ;-)

Aeropuertos de Honduras

Thanks.

Chris

Chris, there is one important thing to note about departure taxes - they are now included in your airfare! You shouldn't have to worry about waiting in line to pay your departure tax or making sure you have enough cash. The fee information is printed on the airline receipt :D

Water temp. will be 83-84 degrees. Of course, everyone's wetsuit preference varies, but I can't stand anything more than a dive skin at that temp. The sun is so hot and my body core temp warms up quickly after dives. Admittedly, I only do three or four dives a day.

We'll be there at the same time - have fun!

Inbound processing thru RTB on Saturdays isn't too lengthy, that is- if the aircraft arrive as planned. If they bunch-up with off-schedule arrivals, as in 3 within 1 hour, all bets are off. I suggest sitting on the curb outside of Immigration on the curb, wait it out, go thru last.

i can't really talk about thermal gear, I dive year round on the South Side in my shorts. Not a pretty sight, but less funny looking than my black Polarfleece that I wear at night to avoid any stinging critters. Look like an over-cooked Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man. We all have issues.

Unless she is not an off-the-rack size, Dockside Dive Center at CCV has great rental gear including 3 and 5 mil suits.

July--HOT ie bathing suit only needed........March, 1 year (early 2000's) remember a tongue of cold water coming thru & temp was 77(all DM were running around looking for a 2nd even ???3rd wetsuit..:)).......

So

I've been only twice (trying to find something in schedule to go again, maybe Nov. 2015?)--both times in July/Aug. I packed both a 3mm and a 0.5mm skin. I found that for me, the 0.5mm skin was perfectly good exposure protection, counting 5 dives/day.

Enjoy your trip!

A 3mm suit doesn't take much space. Bring it along with the rashie, if you do lots of repetitive dives it would be a nice option. You can always leave it on the boat.

I've been to CCV 3x = all in March. My daughter and I have been diving our 5mm full suits in March since we typically get in 5 dives/day.....never feel too hot in the water and often have boat-mates wearing 3mm suits complaining about getting chilled on dives 4-5. Water temps on past trips have been 81+. Daughter would often start the afternoon dive in rash guard and bathing suit.....but would often go back to 5mm later.

Just about to go back.....I know everyone is different....I'm thinking 3mm since I assume water (and air) will be a shade warmer. 5mm would be WAY too much. We always bring rash guards as well.

This posting is mainly for 18 yo daughter who insists all she needs is a rash guard.....:cool2:

Any tips from Doc or other frequent Roatan-ers?

Also - anything new with immigration? I read the long thread from last fall about fingerprinting. Interesting that the Aeropuertos de Honduras web-site says the departure tax is now $39.97 - covienient amount ;-)

Aeropuertos de Honduras

Thanks.

Chris

I usually dive there in late April/early May. I only use a rash guard. Some people use less. It's damn hot there that time of year. June would be worse I'm guessing. The dives are a nice way to cool you down for a while. I'd dive the AM at least and then be nice and cool for the rest of the day.

I would think she'll be fine. Maybe a jacket between dives to warm up or something, but I would think of it this way. If she does get so cold she has to admit that she's cold, isn't that a unique opportunity for a dad of a teenage daughter to prove that she doesn't know it all. :wink:

Enjoy your trip and watch out for the sand flies.

To answer my own questions, since we just came back last night.

18 YO daughter wore her rash guard a lot of the week, saving the 3mm for night dives or afternoon dives when she was feeling slightly chilled, We had steady rain and wind on Sunday (rain so heavy/loud early in the day they had to stop the CCV orientation video for 15 minutes because we could not hear the audio with the torrential rain). On days like this, a 3mm was definitely the way to go, as things were pretty chilly above water. I wore my 3mm full suit the whole week and never felt over-heated. Worth noting that this is a 10 YO suit…and the zipper broke mid week, so I was diving with the back hanging open other than velcroed at the collar. YMMV :cool2:

Chris

Sorry the weather wasn't great for you :depressed: We can try to plan the most perfect dive trips...the only thing we can't control is the weather! How were the seas?

Back
Top Bottom