Roatan and Belize on Norwegian Dream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetrat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Everybody,

Looks like me, the missus and my two sons are going to be in Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras, on Tuesday, April 11, from 12:30 pm to 8:00 pm, and in Belize City, Wednesday, 7 am to 4 pm. We'll be on a cruise ship - the Norwegian Dream.

Not much time in each place, I know, but we'd like to get in the best diving possible!! Any suggestions on sites or operators? A smaller boat would be cool - and we're all capable of 100 ft. dives on reefs, walls or wrecks or whatever!!

Thanks for your help!!

John

NCL has an extensive onboard dive program (for a cruise ship) and Belize has some great dive sites, at the depth you specified. However, considering the relatively short time in port and a starting location at the Belize City port and the logistics of a cattle call dive boat, you are unlikely to reach any of the great dive sites but there are acceptable sites you will likely be routed to in the vicinity of Amergris Caye.

Thanks Stephen - I was wondering if that might be the case. I guess I'll look into what the ship offers.

John

In Roatan you can go with the masses to AKR and flounder with Flipper, or if you are as qualified as we read, check with Subway Watersports on Roatan. Waikula dive shop also offers a pre-arranged shark dive, and I have seen a lot of them- but this was well run and fairly up close and personal.

Know that 99% of cruise ship divers are below your level in abilities. You can't overcome that preconception in the one day that these dive ops will be watching over you. Expect treatment commensurate with their experience elevels with you.

go on line to Ncl`s excursions...they have great diving oportinities , they use Hugh Parkleys belize dive connection in Belize,...and Anthonys key resort in Rotan...both are a great way to spend time diving....not much time to do other things in Belize as the diving is an 6 hr trip.... but in Rotan, still will have 2-3 hrs left to see the island....not much there though.....have a great trip...I did...and will do it again....remember...all inclusive on the meals, means ...order as many lobsters and steaks that you want....all items on the menues are included...if you want two or three ...just ask for the.....fantastic cruise line.... see ya` under

RoatanMan:
In Roatan you can go with the masses to AKR and flounder with Flipper, or if you are as qualified as we read, check with Subway Watersports on Roatan. Waikula dive shop also offers a pre-arranged shark dive, and I have seen a lot of them- but this was well run and fairly up close and personal.

Thanks Doc! Hey what's AKR? I'll definitely contact Subway Watersports and Waikula and see what we can do! The shark dive sounds cool - and we'll be diving reefs in Belize and Cozumel so that would be a good way to mix it up a little.

RoatanMan:
Know that 99% of cruise ship divers are below your level in abilities. You can't overcome that preconception in the one day that these dive ops will be watching over you. Expect treatment commensurate with their experience elevels with you.

That's OK. I knew going into this thing that it would really just give me a taste of diving in these areas. Bringing a 9-year-old, and a 70-year-old with us who can't dive, so I couldn't really plan an all-out diving vacation like I wanted to! Still, cruising is fun, and if we can get in some decent dives, I'll be happy!

Thanks again for the info!

Eagle-scuba:
go on line to Ncl`s excursions...they have great diving oportinities , they use Hugh Parkleys belize dive connection in Belize,...and Anthonys key resort in Rotan...both are a great way to spend time diving....not much time to do other things in Belize as the diving is an 6 hr trip.... but in Rotan, still will have 2-3 hrs left to see the island....not much there though.....have a great trip...I did...and will do it again....remember...all inclusive on the meals, means ...order as many lobsters and steaks that you want....all items on the menues are included...if you want two or three ...just ask for the.....fantastic cruise line.... see ya` under

Thanks Eagle! I booked some SCUBA excursions through NCL, and I only plan to cancel if Doc's dive connections sound more enticing. This is actually our third cruise with NCL but the first in which we are certified. They really have been a good line, and OMG, I always eat like a friggen' horse on those things! :D

Hey one more question Doc or Eagle - we use 7mm exposure suits here with hood, gloves, booties. Will 3mm shorties do the job in Coz, Roatan and Belize in April? We have those tucked away somewhere. Or would we be more comfortable in full 2 or 3 mm? Thanks!

NCL is a great cruise line- I took my whole family on that cruise a few years ago so they could look around Roatan. One thing to remember for your non-diving companions is if they go to the port talks, remember that these are really not there to educate you on the port, but to direct you to shopping at places that offer the cruise line a premium for the promotion. There are few places on Roatan that can afford to do that yet, so their are few recommendations by the ship- they make it sound like you should just stay on the ship! Sadly, the cruise ship dock area is not the most charming area of the island and reinforces this view. People who listen to these talks and don't go on an excursion seldom leave this area, and will often complain that they don't understand why the ship even stops in Roatan! People who leave the cruise ship dock area and travel the island (most go to West Bay Beach, or West End Village) usually fall in love with Roatan. Don't be afraid to use the taxis, just make sure that you bargain before you get in, and make sure that it isn't a per person fare. The taxi drivers will try to take advantage of the tourists, but there are lots of them, so walk away if the price is unreasonable! Good luck and enjoy- the shows on NCL are very good for cruise ship entertainment as well!

wetrat:
Hey one more question Doc or Eagle - we use 7mm exposure suits here with hood, gloves, booties. Will 3mm shorties do the job in Coz, Roatan and Belize in April? We have those tucked away somewhere. Or would we be more comfortable in full 2 or 3 mm? Thanks!

There is no answer, but to say: the temps will be in the 80 degree area. People here, as most divers, will argue minutae such as 79* or 82*, but do not be distracted. The key is knowing what the temp will be and checking your own log book to see what your individual needs will be.

Everybody is different, but understand that with your schedule, you will have to deal with 2 dives and a surface interval. This is radically different than diving 5x a day from a liveaboard. It is also different than taking but one dive. I could do your schedule in my swim trunks, my female unit would require her 5/7 for any such dive.

If there were ever a place you could use just your 3 mil, this would be it.

There is no simple answer.

Here is SubWay http://www.subwaywatersports.com/Diving/day_trips.htm

Back
Top Bottom