Roatan-AirBNB??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

auto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So.... Looking at Roatan and staying in Airbnb as resorts suck :) Any advice? Safety? Dive Shops? POI's? Restaurants? Must do's. Thinking of going over Thanksgiving.

1. Don't go during rainy, really, really rainy season (Nov).
2. Stay West End for flip flop, tee shirt, vib with lots of bars and restaurants or West bay for Beach but Cruises off the boat.
3. See no 1.

Yes, avoid November its the wettest month of the year.
I have 2 AIRBNB's on Utila and I don't even rent them out any more from October 25 - December 15. It's not worth it to me, if it rains every day you get lousy reviews of your property.

So I guess I am hearing that Thanksgiving will suck because it's in November. Any other thoughts on where to go Cozy and Bonaire are already checked off list.

So I guess I am hearing that Thanksgiving will suck because it's in November.

No. Thanksgiving will be great because there will be pie.

The message and point:

Caribbean Tropical Storm season runs August > February. Hurricane season seems to run more like September > November. (Others May wish to debate specific weeks one way or the other)

Please note the different words.

On a map, draw a line from Tobago to Roatan. Stay south of this line, the more insulated from actual Hurricanes you might be. It is still likely to rain like you cannot imagine if you get a Tropical Storm.

That was the message, now here’s the point:

Any place in the Caribbean is pretty much so guaranteed to suck in November.

Look at that map, just one more time. “Cozy” is above the line you drew. Bonaire is below, just like the Bay Islands. What’s better? Storms or hurricanes? Nothing is guaranteed, I’m just explaining the odds.

Change months or change to a different Sea. Caribbean in November? Lose lose.

Thanks. Well Bonaire and Cozy has always been dry and sunny for November visits and Cozy in the summer has always been rainy and Tropical Storms....Maybe I just have been lucky. Just hard to get people to travel over Christmas. Decisions.

I did my Divemaster on Utila in November 2012. It rained occasionally, but it did not take away from the overall experience! And Utila was fairly quiet as a result, which was nice.

My point being Roatan might be rainy in Thanksgiving, but that doesn't mean it has to suck.

I have spent 6 Novembers on Utila over the last 12 years, 2 of them just had a bit of rain, 2 of them had a lot of rain (hours everyday) and 2 of them were monsoon like (nonstop rain for days at a time, utila town flooded and the road coming down from mango inn turned into a raging river emptying into the sea next to the ferry dock). If I only got 2-3 weeks vacation per year I wouldn't risk it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom