Road to Boca Paila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are headed back to Cozumel probably in early November. We're planning on going over to the peninsula and renting a jeep and then heading south. I intend to take the group to Tulum and then take the road to Boca Paila. I have heard or read that the road to Boca Paila is gravel and not very good. It doesnt look to be more than 20 miles but I'm told the trip can take 2 hours.

Has anyone been down that road recently and can you advise me on its condition? I intend to gas up in Tulum. I was also thinking of heading down south of Boca Paila and checking out Punta Allen. Has anyone been there? Any information would be most appreciated. Thank You.

did the drive just before Emily two years ago. The road was not great back then but I did not have any worries about getting stuck. Tulum has grown outward on that road so there were quite a few small hotels for the first 2-3 miles if memory serves. There is an entrance to the Biosphere further along where you pay a small admission. From there to Punta Allen we saw a few small hotels which I believe were mainly gringo run. In Punta Allen there are some small beach hotel/cabin places to stay. They even had an internet "cafe" Not a lot of tourists make it down there. Nov should be a good time to do the trip. Not so hot. Oh yes do gas up in Tulum and fill your ice chest with ice.

Augustus:
did the drive just before Emily two years ago. The road was not great back then but I did not have any worries about getting stuck. Tulum has grown outward on that road so there were quite a few small hotels for the first 2-3 miles if memory serves. There is an entrance to the Biosphere further along where you pay a small admission. From there to Punta Allen we saw a few small hotels which I believe were mainly gringo run. In Punta Allen there are some small beach hotel/cabin places to stay. They even had an internet "cafe" Not a lot of tourists make it down there. Nov should be a good time to do the trip. Not so hot. Oh yes do gas up in Tulum and fill your ice chest with ice.

Thanks so very much for the info. Was the fill-up in Tulum enough to get you there and back?

We had no problem doing the trip on a tank of gas. Its actually not that far to Punta Allen but it seems long since you have to go slow. Especially the first time you drive it and have no idea what kinda of pot holes are around the corner. I think 2 hours sounds about right for the drive taking it nice and easy. Do a google search for Punta Allen and it will show various places you can stay at. Make sure you have a good cooler with ice and drinks and maybe mixing for sandwitches. Also make sure your spare tire is OK before you start off. Leaving early in the morning gives you the option of staying once you get there or returning the same day to Tulum.

Nate and I are planning on going down that way also. November 30 and December 1. Looking at possibly staying overnight here in one of the delux cabins (only 75 for the night, not to bad) and doing one of the eco tours. http://www.cesiak.org/

If enough time allows I would like to try to squeeze in Tulum and Coba also.

Mawg, please do post back after your trip and let us know how it was.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom