Road Condition past Karpata

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello: For those who have been to Bonaire recently, is there any road that can go around the oil fields (past Karpata)? Last time I was there, it was mentioned that the road is not in good shape and to be avoided.

Just there 2 weeks ago. Had a older pickup, decent clearance and not a vehicle to get too worried about. Take your time, and it's OK. The VERY beginning right as you get on the road by the storage towers is some of the worst. We went to Playa Franz, so end of the road. There is a small split right after you come down the paved part of the hill around the oil containers that look very interesting. Franz was pretty pristine and we were completely by ourselves. Getting OUT through the coral was a puzzle. We did much better coming back in where we could actually see the route.

Thank you for your detailed response.

Just there 2 weeks ago. Had a older pickup, decent clearance and not a vehicle to get too worried about. Take your time, and it's OK. The VERY beginning right as you get on the road by the storage towers is some of the worst. We went to Playa Franz, so end of the road. There is a small split right after you come down the paved part of the hill around the oil containers that look very interesting. Franz was pretty pristine and we were completely by ourselves. Getting OUT through the coral was a puzzle. We did much better coming back in where we could actually see the route.

Been to Playa Franz 9 years ago. My favorite site along the way was Nukove. Did you stop there and attempt to get in?

Did not try that site. Did that one maybe 15+ years ago. The memorable thing was the deerhorn tunnel you had to get in and out of.

If you try Franz, go north I think. We went south. I don't know that's a better option but it kind of looked like it.

Did not try that site. Did that one maybe 15+ years ago. The memorable thing was the deerhorn tunnel you had to get in and out of.

If you try Franz, go north I think. We went south. I don't know that's a better option but it kind of looked like it.

Both are great sites. Playa is good whether you go north or south. We usually take enough air to do 2 at Playa and 1 at Nukove. If we could fit another set of tanks in my brother's truck, we would do 2 at Nukove as well. Fortunately, they don't keep the road graded, and it's a long drive as a result. This keeps most folks from going to these sites. We rarely have company up there.

If I remember, the entry at Nukove was tricky...rocky bottom made footing somewhat treacherous...is that still the case?

Playa Frans was not bad getting in...just had to find your way out to deeper water. I think we went south too, but maybe we tried north.

I'm probably not the best one to ask about the footing, I think Karpata isn't bad. My gf on the other hand, has fallen at Salt Pier. She hasn't had any problems with Nukove so far, knock on wood, but she puts her gear on in the water and takes it off in the water. I carry it in and out. We do the same at any of the sites with sketchy footing or heavier surf, like the S end by the lighthouse.

Going from land into the water at Salt Pier was a little tricky when I was there 2 years ago. Once you get past that transition zone, not a problem. Nukove was worse when I did that 9 years ago...tricky in the water because of the rock size underfoot.

Dove Candyland and Nukove last week. The road around the storage tanks is easily drivable, slow and bouncy. The day we were there, the water was almost still.... perfect conditions.... I’m hoping to get back up there next week... so

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom