RK3 HD Vs Mares Power Plana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys and gals

Has anyone tried out both of these fins? If so any opinions on what you preferred?
They're almost the same weight, the HDs are a tiny bit heavier. The mares feel a little more flexible in my hands than the HDs. Looking for pros/cons of either if poss.
I'm a wetsuit diver, diving single tank for recreation plus the occasional side mount dives too. Will be looking to get into the tech side of things at some point in the next year or so as well but not in cold water because I'm a wimp!
Thanks in advance!

Power Planas are neg buoyant. I use mine for drysuit diving. They have a lot of power in frog and in modified flutter, as well as regular flutter. They are heavy, and your legs will feel them, but will adjust.

Power Planas are neg buoyant. I use mine for drysuit diving. They have a lot of power in frog and in modified flutter, as well as regular flutter. They are heavy, and your legs will feel them, but will adjust.

Thanks very much for the reply @Invader

The mares in small have a greater blade surface than a regular RK3, I found them perhaps not surprisingly more powerful.

The RK3s are a very comfortable fin but so are the PPs. The spring strap on the RK3 is better IMO than the bungee on the PP. I know you can buy springs for the PP, I did, but they kept popping off the posts so went back to bungee (rubber) ones.

I use the power planas to push my (big ) self around. Very Powerful fin cant speak about the other...I dive a wetsuit and drysuit in them...no issues.

Back
Top Bottom