RIX Industries. Model SA-6 Discontinued and Replacement Project.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iain/hsm

Contributor
Reaction score
Rix SA-6 Users. To inform.

As of 1st July 2017 Rix Industries formally discontinued the Mil-Spec SA series breathing air compressors and Microboost oxygen compressors. Rix Industries USA have formally discontinued the supply of both these products and will refer all enquiries for new builds to HSM Engineering as of August 2017.

With regard to spare parts for the American market:
For the SA Series Rix Industies USA will provide spare parts up to and until 31st Dec 2022
For the Microboost (Direct Drive) Rix Industries will provide spare parts up to and until 31st Dec 2021

Thereafter HSM will take responsibility to provide spares

The Microboost will be replaced in the US with a belt drive unit in the near future but Rix Industries will no longer provide the Microboost as a direct drive unit.

HSM will continue manufacturing assembly and handling distribution of both the SA Commercial Series compressors in Europe and continue with the direct drive Microboost units together with 3 phase and variable speed belt drive commercial options.

The SA-6 will continue but with a new commercial part number designate and will be made available only as a commercial specification build. Further most part will retrofit the older discontinued SA Mil-Spec series discontinued models.

In addition to Breathing Air applications all new builds will be suitable for elevated oxygen concentrations Nitrox 40% (tested to 50%).

A model number designate change will be made and both will continue as a HSM product line together with Rix SA-6 and SA-3 air compressor spares. All new spares hereafter will be released without the incumbent Mil-spec designation and sold as commercial products only.

Rix SA-6 Users. To inform.
In addition to Breathing Air applications all new builds will be suitable for elevated oxygen concentrations Nitrox 40% (tested to 50%).
Can you offer any hint as to what if anything will be different about the new machine that will make it more applicable for use at elevated oxygen concentrations than the SA-6?

Can you offer any hint as to what if anything will be different about the new machine that will make it more applicable for use at elevated oxygen concentrations than the SA-6?

No problem. There is around 50 changes required to the block alone mostly it is a material change of the same parts but the 1st stage head is a redesign, cooling grooves are added in all heads and a modification to the forced air cooling RTD ports on the heads as well as the long awaited gauge (pressure transmitter) ports. The whole package is direct drive variable speed but Europe only is easy as we run 50Hz 1500 RPM
Running at 60Hz would too high so your belt and pulley only or the marine version with soft start inverter would be another way forward. Basically its nothing much just more suitable materials and better cooling.
The IPP build list is below to give you an idea of the simple changes required.
The other changes such as ring material is just another material change of the same part.
Bearing life : 8000 hours Ring life: 1st 1000 hours 2nd: 800-1000 hours 3rd 150 to 250 hours (350 to 250 bar)

The biggest change in cost reduction is from the IPP that originally requiring everthing Mil-Spec
Seal storage life: rings oring etc was 3 year for Mil-Spec UK now 5 year for commercial products
No hydro testing of tubes and pipes or certification of material back to mill 3.6. No batch or batch burst testing, no materal analysis, No PMI testing required for commercial product. Commercial off the shelf parts, No Mil-spec supplier vendor. In the Mil Spec we had to supply the compound cure date and hardness for even an o-ring
When the paperwork got near to the same weight as the compressor we knew we were about done.
Basic other changes below:

1. Air intake filter: Material change, 2mu paper pleated 10mu poly for marine only.
2. Air intake hose: Material change, FG sizing reconfigured.
3. 1st stage piston: Material change,
4. 1st stage piston: Design change, 3 x piston ring x 1 BU ring, counterbalance grooved back
5. 1st stage head: RTD port,
6. 1st stage head: gauge port,
7. 1st stage gasket: Material change, (02 compatible) HT 0-Ring
8. 1st stage piston liner: Size dims, ground to slip fit
9. 1st stage outlet: Material change, to 316 stainless steel
10. 1st stage tubing coil: Material change, from 303 stainless to 316
11. 1st stage outlet fitting: Material Change, SAE, copper cone seal Flaretite
12. 2nd stage head: Material change, from 303 Stainless to Bronze
13. 2nd stage head: RTD port,
14. 2nd stage seal: Material change, from Viton to Teflon
15. 2nd stage steel valve: Material change,
16. 2nd stage piston liner: Material change, non oiled bronze
17. 2nd stage piston liner: Size dims, ground to slip fit OD
18. 2nd stage inlet: Material change, to stainless SAE, copper cone seal Flaretite
19. 2nd stage outlet: Material change, to stainless
20. 3rd stage head: Material change, from 303 Stainless to bronze
21. 3rd stage head: RTD port,
22. 3rd stage cooling coil: Material change, from 303 stainless, to UNS C69100
23. Bearing swash plate: Lubricant change,
24. Bearings rod end: Lubricant change, rust inhibitor modified
25. Bearings main: Lubricant change,
26. Bearings thrust plate: Lubricant change,
27. Lubricant seals: Lubricant change, Christo-Lube MCG 111
28. Relief valve 3rd stage: Material change, PED non ported relief,
29. Fan Cooling: Material change, from 6 blade to 8 blade 303mm zero degree pitch,

so when can we start buying parts from HSM in the US?? I've got a pair of SA6's I'd love to rebuild, but the parts cost in the US is making it prohibitive

When they let me have a green card and I emigrate I guess.
But seriously you can get parts no problem from Rix and I know they have plenty of stock.
The engineers at Rix wont let you guys down for spares and I suspect they will continue being available
well after this published end date. Besides it's the lovely Christa that sorts out the spares and she is much too effective efficiant and quick than us engineering bunch of old timers.
Now as for pricing that's not my department or interest, personally I think the parts are cheap but then again I dont take much interest on the costings. But I will say this, just email me over on private messages a list of the part numbers you require and I will sort something out for you at workshop rate. We have stuff Christa dont yet know about. LOL

Hi Iain,
Got your PM a while ago with your contact info but never heard back. Im interested in building an old stock sa3 and getting parts for SA6's. Also very curious to see what comes of the new micro boost. Let me know. Thanks

think the parts are expensive ...wait till you have to import from Europe ...I bring in some spares from England . I used to buy in the US when it went to the UK it doubled ....

think the parts are expensive ...wait till you have to import from Europe ...I bring in some spares from England . I used to buy in the US when it went to the UK it doubled ....

Are you talking about spares for the Rix pumps or something else completely different and not in anyway related to Rix compressor spares? Just asking.

Any word on the new Micro Boost or obtaining a new sa3 pump?

Back
Top Bottom