Rise and Fall of the Bubble (Model) ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Very quick question to the décompression science experts on ScubaBoard:

Where can I find a thorough and current (2018) scientific discussion about why the bubble theoretical models may have apparently less appeal, following recent scientific studies ?

I believe this is the most recent relevant discussion here on the board:
Spisni study

I started to read the thread but am dismayed by the verbal violence expressed by some of the users.

Still, it seems quite interesting, so I will be sure to resume my reading in the near future.

Too bad that such an academic debate cannot be resolved through the expression of gentlemanly discourse. :)

You need to understand that the same subject has been rehashed repeatedly over the last few years. Some users on here probably have links to all the previous threads on this and other boards ready to post. You can Google "Scubaboard NEDU Study" or "Rebreather World NEDU Study" and find many of them. Be prepared for a lot of reading.

There has been quite a bit of frustration with certain persons refusal to accept the changing tides of modern decompression theory. Even to the point of being considered unsafe to the general diving community by their piers.

You can Google "Scubaboard NEDU Study" or "Rebreather World NEDU Study" and find many of them. Be prepared for a lot of reading.

Is it this study ?

Navy Experimental Diving Unit 321 Bullfinch Road
Panama City, FL 32407-7015
TA 04-12
NEDU TR 11-06 July 2011
REDISTRIBUTION OF DECOMPRESSION STOP TIME FROM SHALLOW TO DEEP STOPS INCREASES INCIDENCE OF DECOMPRESSION SICKNESS IN AIR DECOMPRESSION DIVES

If so, I will carefully study this document before I try to wade through the dozens of posts on this topic.

Naturally, I am in advance a bit surprised that only one study, however well done, would be sufficient to completely overthrow one of the theoretical models of decompression ?

I believe that is it, but It is no longer the only evidence.

Thanks for the information: is there a complete list of the more recent studies that are free-access and conveniently located somewhere on the internet ?

Is it this study ?

Navy Experimental Diving Unit 321 Bullfinch Road
Panama City, FL 32407-7015
TA 04-12
NEDU TR 11-06 July 2011
REDISTRIBUTION OF DECOMPRESSION STOP TIME FROM SHALLOW TO DEEP STOPS INCREASES INCIDENCE OF DECOMPRESSION SICKNESS IN AIR DECOMPRESSION DIVES

If so, I will carefully study this document before I try to wade through the dozens of posts on this topic.

Naturally, I am in advance a bit surprised that only one study, however well done, would be sufficient to completely overthrow one of the theoretical models of decompression ?
Yes.

There was no study done to prove the theoretical model correct before it was instituted among technical divers on the basis of anecdotal evidence. Therefore there has been only one scientific study ever done on the subject.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom