Rinsing gear don't neglect your BC inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I see a lot of discussion on rinsing your regs to minimize failure but nothing on your BC.

I used to use a zeagle inflator which for those not familiar with it detaches from the BC with a standard hose connection. I would detach the inflator drop in a sink full of water to soak while I rinsed the rest of my gear and then rinse the inflator.

I replaced that mechanism about a year ago with the standard inflator type about a year ago. Even with pumping water into BC and rinsing I've had 2 inflator self inflate issues in the last year.

I'm debating on buying either the flush attachment that you hook onto your inflator or switching back as soaking the inflator attached is getting annoying.

Moral of the story don't neglect your inflator ladies and gents, it is the only gear failure I've experienced in 12 years of diving and is completely avoidable.

I don't know if mine detaches but don't think so (old Phantom BC). I just rinse it as part of the BC. No problems in maybe 12-13 years. My original one on the BC did inflate on it's own a couple of times.

I have a zeagle with the detachable inflator and soak it while rinsing the bcd too. Did you operate the buttons while it was soaking to work fresh water through it?

I also have a Scubapro Finseal stab jacket that I use as my travel BCD and replaced the inflator with an Atomic inflator. That unit shares the same hose adapter as the Zeagle (FYI). I love being able to rinse the inside of the BCD's

I have a zeagle with the detachable inflator and soak it while rinsing the bcd too. Did you operate the buttons while it was soaking to work fresh water through it?

I also have a Scubapro Finseal stab jacket that I use as my travel BCD and replaced the inflator with an Atomic inflator. That unit shares the same hose adapter as the Zeagle (FYI). I love being able to rinse the inside of the BCD's

I did and while rinsing it after. I was told with the other types to soak them and operate much harder when attached to BC, that's why I'm thinking of switching back.

I like to squirt some food grade silicone spray down the inflator nozzle, while depressing the inflate button - after the cleaning. I have had few inflator problems and normally if you check the operation of the inflate button (especially) before packing your gear up, you can avoid problems.

I did and while rinsing it after. I was told with the other types to soak them and operate much harder when attached to BC, that's why I'm thinking of switching back.
The real question is why did you switch from the Zeagle inflator to begin with. The BX connector is a simple and brilliant design. No attachments to lose, and garden hoses are everywhere.

I use an Octo-Z, but the same can apply for a standard inflator. No need to remove the inflator from the regulator, instead you just remove the inflator from the BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom