Rinsing a housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amajamar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can you (should you) rinse out the inside of a housing?

If so, how long should you let it dry?

I just got a used housing and there is some grit in there, pretty minor but I'm a stickler for clean... at least in my dive gear!! :wink:

I clean mine before, I only clean it when I am completely done diving and leave the housing open for a few days. Then I put a bunch of moisture kruncher that I get at the local shoe store, if you talk to them they will stock pile what they get out of shoe boxes and you can get them for free. Now you can put lots of them in the housing and voila next time you need it it is all good to go. I never buy my moisture kruncher I use the shoe store one and never had a problem.

I would not rinse the inside of a housing (unless it flooded) No matter how well you try to dry it, you will have moisture in the wiring for your strobe connections. That can screw it up big time! Just wipe it with a damp rag.
Steve

original.jpg

Also, depending on the housing it can be very testing to dry out the lens port. I got some in the port on my PT-020 and it took a while to dry out completely.

Pretty fishie. The only time I rinsed the inside of my housing was when it flooded. Thankfully, without the camera in it. And then Reefphoto in Fl. fixed my housing for me and thoroughly cleaned it. They are wonderful!!

Back
Top Bottom