rinse without seal.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had accidently rinse my regulator in fresh water without sealing the 1st stage (SP MK16)...............(was in a hurry as need to pack up all the rental gears to). I didn't leave it in the bucket, just take the regs in and out of the bucket a few times.

Other DM on the boat recommended me to quickly attach it onto a tank and dry the chamber by pressing the purge valve on the 2nd stage. Did it and didn't find any problem.

Anyway, would this damage my regs. in any way? Would I need to bring it to my LDS and have them check it?

Thanks alot!!!!!

I assume that you were diving in salt water. Unless you were the first person to use the fresh water rinse tank, the water was decidedly not fresh water. The term brackish water comes to mind. So you are actually dealing with low salinity salt water.

The procedure I followed when a student or customer did this with my (or their) gear, was to first remove the high pressure hose at the 1st stage connection and plug the port. Then proceed as you did. Chances are that you could blow the water through before any salt crystalizes. At any rate, there is little else you can do without disassembling the reg.

The problem with repressurizing the reg with the high pressure hose attached, is that a drop of water could be blown into the SPG or AI computer or sender. Even if no problem is noticed initially, a tiny amount of water (especially salt) can eventually corrode the mechanism causing the unit to fail.

At this point, there is little you can do other than carefully monitoring your SPG, or AI computer. If it seems to get sticky, or inaccurate, or fails completely, well...

Also look at the filter did it turn green and is the reg harder to breath off. Thats a hard decision to make. If you don't need it right away a freindy can you look inside request from the LDS may be a wise thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom