Richelieu Rock Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba2you

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
On the positive side, four world class dives today, 30+ years of diving and these were right up at the top. Visibility was medium at about 20+m but the the quantity and quality of the life was off the charts. Lots of current and surge made for epic diving.

Downside, same old issue, 12 boats and 250 divers is tough to handle. I personally know of individuals on another boat doing their open water today, I do not understand dive operations that put new divers on a pristine reef in these conditions.....

Chugging our way back for two dives in the morning to wrap up a great trip.

I do not understand dive operations that put new divers on a pristine reef in these conditions.....

It's called GREED and no respect for the environment!

Were the crowds just for the long weekend? After 9 months stranded abroad I got my ASQ booked and was looking forward to empty dive sites...maybe not?

This was a hastily called long weekend to promote tourism by the local community. So yeah, fair to say it was weekend driven, problem is, booking liveaboard boats during the week is hit or miss due very low midweek demand.

Regardless, if you make it I’m sure you can find plenty of places to dive. I wouldn’t worry at all.

It's called GREED and no respect for the environment!
1. Probably.
2. Most operators do not run their own boat and since this is a special promotion by the local community. No one wanted to miss the occasion.

On the positive side, four world class dives today, 30+ years of diving and these were right up at the top. Visibility was medium at about 20+m but the the quantity and quality of the life was off the charts. Lots of current and surge made for epic diving.

Downside, same old issue, 12 boats and 250 divers is tough to handle. I personally know of individuals on another boat doing their open water today, I do not understand dive operations that put new divers on a pristine reef in these conditions.....

Chugging our way back for two dives in the morning to wrap up a great trip.
"I personally know of individuals on another boat doing their open water today, I do not understand dive operations that put new divers on a pristine reef in these conditions....."
Yes, some companies are notorious for that. And right now, with many wanting, I think it will be worse.

Yeah,
"I personally know of individuals on another boat doing their open water today, I do not understand dive operations that put new divers on a pristine reef in these conditions....."
Yes, some companies are notorious for that. And right now, with many wanting, I think it will be worse.

it’s a shame really, it’s not necessary and really does a new diver no service to do an open water in this location. A new diver should be focusing on skills, not just surviving surge, currents and crowds.

But yeah, this is 2020 and Thailand.....

1. Probably.
2. Most operators do not run their own boat and since this is a special promotion by the local community. No one wanted to miss the occasion.

It’s good to see so many Thais taking an interest in diving, I have found the vast majority to be very competent when they gain the experience....and as always experience comes in many forms, each individual is different.

I hope all new divers will appreciate the beauty of underwater and respect it. Unfortunately there will be some with different ideas. Pity.

Yeah,

it’s a shame really, it’s not necessary and really does a new diver no service to do an open water in this location. A new diver should be focusing on skills, not just surviving surge, currents and crowds.

But yeah, this is 2020 and Thailand.....
This has been going on for a long time already. I never do open water courses at Similans or Surin national parks, there are much better, more suitable places. Save the parks for the certified divers.

Back
Top Bottom