Rib

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NEWENGLANDCHARTERS

Contributor
Reaction score
RIB Survey

If your considering buying a Brand New RIB what size would you want?

What Price Would you Pay?

PVC or Hypolan?

where are you going to use it?

How would you use it?

Tender,

Tender on Davits,

Standalond,

On a trailer,

Commercial or

Recreational?

How big of an engine would you want?

Capt Walt

Answer these questions by sending me an E mail and you will be entered into a contest with a Wicked Cool Prize! TBD

Newenglandcharters@maine.rr.com

Last edited:
Is this for a tender or a primary dive platform?

I have a 16ft aluminum hulled hypalon RIB with a 60hp Yamaha 4-stroke on it, bench seat, mini-console, 12 gals fuel, color GPS/plotter, and custom 8-tank rack. I use it in Puget Sound, the San Juans islands and Gulf Islands of Canada.
Picture025-1.jpg

Total cost new, rigged with tax + trailer, was roughly $22k. The Newfoundlands were extra. Even with a full load cruising 4300rpm at 22knots it sips gas and comfortable range is up to 30miles round trip. More than that gets a bit tedious although I'll still have gobs of fuel.

I like the NewFees.

Do you hunt Sea Ducks with them?

How do you get them to climb back in the rubber raft?

My LabraWieler needs a plywood boarding platform with carpet attached to make the leap.

Can you take a close photo of the tank rack that you have. Did you build it yourself?

Also if you use it for Charters, What insurance company do you use? I have run into resistance from Insurance companies writing for Rubber Rafts as they say there is no seats. Next thing there gonna want seat belts. Hey! We already have "Airbags!"

Notice he has a bench seat. Perhaps not referring to your boat as a "raft" might help with insuring it, just a thought.

Love the boat, love the big dogs, take care of them.

N

Total cost new, rigged with tax + trailer, was roughly $22k. The Newfoundlands were extra. Even with a full load cruising 4300rpm at 22knots it sips gas and comfortable range is up to 30miles round trip. More than that gets a bit tedious although I'll still have gobs of fuel.

Very cool dogs. I've had four Newfies over the years. My whaler
is named Black Dog.

I like the NewFees.

Do you hunt Sea Ducks with them?

How do you get them to climb back in the rubber raft?

My LabraWieler needs a plywood boarding platform with carpet attached to make the leap.

Can you take a close photo of the tank rack that you have. Did you build it yourself?

Also if you use it for Charters, What insurance company do you use? I have run into resistance from Insurance companies writing for Rubber Rafts as they say there is no seats. Next thing there gonna want seat belts. Hey! We already have "Airbags!"

I'm not a hunter and Newfies aren't really hunting dogs either, although they do have soft mouths. For the little foray in the pic we didn't put the lifejackets on them. The XLs jackets work well for us and give you a strap to haul them back into the boat with. I try not to let them jump out much cause its hard on my back getting them back in. Obviously dog rides = not diving that day. We do take them camping and such where they can run on the beach etc.

The tank rack is like a bike rack. Its 36" long down the centerline and holds up to 8 cylinders in 2 rows of 4 with backplates on them. Its 19 or 20" high. and the upside down "U" part of made from 2" AL tube. I had it built by Polaris, the builders of the RIB. They are in Langley BC, right up the road from me in Seattle. Sorry I don't have a zoomed pic of that.

As far as "charters" go... I don't run any. I just use the RIB for myself and friends. Its only 15.5ft long after all. I can take 4 recreational divers for 1 tank each or 3 divers with 2 or more tanks each. After that its danged crowded and hard to consistently plane with any kind of waves.

I have an agreed value boat insurance policy through Progressive but that's strictly recreational. I have 2 actual seats (the bench behind me, with dry storage underneath), and extra passengers ride on my tubes. While I theoretically could run charters since I hold a 50-ton CG license, I would not want to have passengers-for-hire riding on tubes.

I don't know where you are in New England but I would guess that a RIB is a bit of a poor choice for charters there. By the time the boat is large enough to be "off-shore" seaworthy and hold enough passengers to be profitable your tubes are going to be enormous 22"+ and impossible to swim back over. Basically negating probably the most "dive-friendly" aspect of an inflatable. Of course, unless you can find a CG approved commercial hull (doubtful) you will be limited to 6 or fewer passengers and uninspected status anyway.

Notice he has a bench seat. Perhaps not referring to your boat as a "raft" might help with insuring it, just a thought.

Love the boat, love the big dogs, take care of them.

N

Very cool dogs. I've had four Newfies over the years. My whaler
is named Black Dog.

Thanks guys. The boat's name is "Water Dog" which is kinda snappy over the radio too :cool2:

Here are some pictures I took awhile back as I was rigging her
Anchor locker, now holds a 11lb Bruce Lee (the chinese knockoff) 15ft of 3/8" tapering to 1/4" chain, and 350+ft of 3/8" line.
Picture028.jpg

One piece hull plate. I went for the 3/16" since I don't beach her that often and 1/4" plate everywhere was an unnecessary extra 150lbs or so.
e023.jpg

Hull plating extends beyond the transom making her hull a few inches longer
Picture027.jpg

Mini-console, trying to safe space for dive gear. I now have the GPS/sounder mounted here, along with a grab rail and little acrylic windshield which keeps the worst of the spray off the electronics.
Picture026.jpg

I will try to take some more pictures next time I have her out. I pretty much rigged her exclusively for diving. You don't really want to go 20miles in her, but I have done 56miles roundtrip with 3 people and 2 sets of doubles and scooters aboard on 9gals of gas once.

That is the best looking danged rubber "raft" I have eber seened!

N

Back
Top Bottom