RI wrecks accessible from shore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanMist333

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering if there are any wrecks accessible by shore in Rhode Island... I know of many that require a boat to access, but are there any that are simply close to shore? If so, could you provide directions on how to arrive at the wreck?

It is hardly a wreck, more like a few scattered debris of fishing boat 'Capt. Lorance' 50 yards of south tip of Beavertail.
Supposedly there are remains of SS "Rhode Island" north east of the tip of Bonnet Point and also some 'debris fields" around Castle Hill but I don't have the first hand experience in those spots.
rgrds
Tomek

There are several wrecks which can be reached form shore. You have to realize, however that they are all more "wrecksites" than intact wrecks. Shallow water wrecks are subjected to alot of destructive forces and are a whole different animal than a deeper water wreck which can only be accessed by boat. Here is a list of wrecks that can be dived from shore in RI (I have personally been on all of them so I can give you some background).
Captain Lawrence
Empire State
Lydia Skolfield
Steamer Rhode Island
Tug Hercules
Narragansett Barge
Bark Gem
Bessie Rogers
The following could be added as

Back
Top Bottom