RI Dive Season '22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just putting away the ski gear after a very successful ski season. Now turning my thoughts to dive season. Have a trip booked to BON in a couple months and looking forward to getting back to FT W this summer. I dive wet in RI and late May is when it is usually warm enough for me. For the dry divers, has anyone been out recently? Hoping for a fun and safe dive season for all and maybe will see you down at FT W.

I was on a dive at FTW on 4/10. It was mostly just a shake down dive. I had a new collar put on my dry suit. We were in the water for about 40 minutes and I was pretty F-ing cold. Visibility was okay around 15-20’,but absolutely nothing of interest to look at. a few horseshoe crabs that looked cold and depressed, one or two other crabs that looked miserable and not a single vertebrate except for us. Our next try in a week or two is going to be for a night dive, hopefully we will see something more interesting, like some nudibranchs or octopus.

Thanks. What were you reading for water temps? NOAA Newport buoy was reporting in the mid to upper 40s. Way too cold for me.

That sounds about right. My hands got pretty cold and taking the drysuit off with cold hands makes ripping a seal more likely.

Did a night on May 1st. 44F. vis was 10-15’, lots of skates in the cove. We saw at least a half dozen and a few smaller fish

Newport buoy reporting 51 degrees. Pool opens for me when it gets a fairly steady 55 or better

54 degrees hit. Getting closer

Back
Top Bottom