rEvo CCR Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomfcrist

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok, call this a silly question.

Some folks know that I have been mulling around with the idea of buying a rEvo. I have noticed a trend in pretty much every video that I have seen that has a rEvo diver. Their trim blows. I guess the question is...Are rEvo's really that difficult to trim out? The folks I see diving them seem to be trimmed in such a way that would surely silt out any environment they choose to dive in.

That they are ass-heavy is indisputable. My experience with them is limited to the mini SS version. Without a nice D6 stand, 2lbs of trim weight on the upper shelf was all I needed to get and stay nice and flat. I put that on between the first shallow water dives on Mod 1 and the first real dives during the class, and the difference was night and day. Ditching my Jets would probably be a wise idea for non-dry dives, too, but I'm not likely to do that and it wasn't necessary.

<heavy sigh>

With the D6 stand, which I wouldn't give up for anything, 2lbs just doesn't cut it. Nor does 4lbs or 6lbs. Because it's what I had laying around in terms of hard weight, I now have eight :censored:ing pounds strapped to the top shelf as trim weight. Not optimal, especially with a heavy SS cased revo with a stand and 3L steel tanks. But I'm damn flat in the water again.

I took my rEvo class with Jim Wyatt. On the unit I was diving, Jim had zip-tied about 2 3# weights to the top of the frame. He said most people are bottom heavy. Well I'm usually very head heavy, and sure enough when we ditched those weights, I was able to maintain being horizontal. However, I ended up with a sore back from trying to hold it. I ended up attaching a 4# weight to the butt plate(D-ring) and I was able to get and stay horizontal without issue. The other guy in my class had to add weights to the top of his unit.

So the answer is...
it depends on you

GOPR0299.jpgGOPR0311.jpg

Most problems can be solved changing to different fins. The dive rite fins work really well as they are light, yet give you great populsion. I have no problem with my revo. I dive it with carbon fiber tanks even. Most people are overweighted.

Good feedback so far. From what I gather the rEvo is already a heavy biatch, so how significantly overweighted are you all with 6-8lbs more stuffed on the shelf. I am a pretty much a rock in the water.

Elena, Jim would be the most likely candidate in my book to give me training on the unit.

If I flood the thing completely with full 3L steels, the stand, and 8lbs more on top...my 55lb Halcyon wing and/or 6' SMBs will still keep me up. But a neutral rig it is not. One of these days I'll get a titanium micro with carbon fiber tanks, but today is not that day - tomorrow's not looking likely either.

All units (JJ, rEvo, Meg, HH) can trim out. The big question is ...."Does the diver care?" I find that a lot of divers that start looking into rebreathers ask that same question, no different than with OC. While you and I may care as to the benefits of buoyancy, trim and finning, not all divers do. A lot of rEvo divers and trim pockets to the cage on the top of the unit.

Jay3.jpg

_A109261.jpg
A little hard to see but the Trim Pocket is laying on top of the arching chrome protector which is on top of the yellow cover

rEvo-R219A-5S.jpgrEvo-R219A-6S.jpg
rEvo now sells their own pocket to mount there.

I'm aware that they all CAN trim out... What I would like to avoid is wearing a machine that is 50lbs negative. Kinda against my mantra.

My rEvo Micro FT is 54.6 lbs with 2L steel tanks and packed sorb according to Add Helium's weight chart: http://store.addhelium.com/assets/images/Library/rEvo/revo size.pdf plus whatever my O2/Dil gas is.

The unit is butt heavy and if you are diving wet picking the right tanks and using a light fin like the Diverite or OMS monoprene fins will help alot. The reVo gives you alot of tank options so finding the combo of weight on the top rack and tank type/material will be key in getting your trim nailed.

I would suggest renting and using some different tanks like the 2L faber steels, 13cuf or 19cuf aluminum tanks during your class and see what works for you. Once you get used to holding minimum loop volume you can really dial in and tune the weighting option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom