Reviews on Triton's Abacus / divecomputer.eu anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everybody,

I am diving with a Cressi Newton and until now I was quite happy with it.

Few days ago, at the end of a dive and while I was removing it from my wrist, without putting any excess force to it (several other times I had it much more snug on my wrist than this time), the buckle just snapped off its' pin. Luckily this happened on land after the dive while I was holding it hence it was no big deal. But I am pretty sure that this can/will happen again and who knows, next time it might be underwater without me even noticing it and then bye bye computer!

In any way, as I am usually diving solo nowadays and I recently got advanced nitrox certified so I will probably start doing light deco dives soon I need a second computer.

I've seen in the past this new dive computer from divecomputer.eu also sold as Triton's Abacus from Deep 6. Has anybody here tried any of those or at least have seen any real user reviews? They look a very good deal for the price - although they have been out of stock for some time now.

I am also open to any other suggestions around that price range (around 500$/euro). Please keep in mind: I know that in here anything other than Shearwater is not good enough, but I simply cannot afford paying close to 1000$Us/Euro just for a dive computer.

A bit of background so you better understand my needs: I usually (once a week or so) do rec dives on air or nitrox, mostly but not exclusively solo. Although I have advanced nitrox certification, I don't do deco dives as yet although I might consider light deco in the future. I also usually do a 1-2weeks long dive trip once a year (no solo there). I don't need air integration but I want to be able to log my dives with subsurface.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

I forgot to mention this: I saw a couple of similar threads eg Deep 6 Triton's Abacus / divecomputer.eu Review and this Any one tried divecomputer.eu?
but both are quite old (last posts around November 18)

I read there were few problems with them back then, but now there is a new hardware version (2) which for example includes wet contacts and I was wondering if this has addressed these problems, or if there are any other stories of people using it.
Thanks again.

I mean, I could give you my experience, but I don't think you are wanting one direct from the manufacturer. lol

Either way, I have been diving one for a couple of months if you had any specific questions.

Please go ahead. I am mostly concerned about the reliability of it. I've read here several issues although I understand there is now a second version with improved hardware trying to address these. Has it been successful?
Also I am worried because I hear the support (at least from the European site) has not been so good. FYI I live in Europe so if I get this computer it will be from the Polish site - sorry for this. I've send them an email several days ago asking about when is it expected to be available (it appears out of stock for several weeks now) and they haven't replied at all.
Overall only the price and the characteristics look good. Everything else doesn't seem promising though.
Thanks

This's the same manufacturer like Light For Me. I've heard about big problem with support. So i'll stay away from this company.

If you need support from Eastern Eu you're basically on island time. If you buy from deep 6 you could pester @LandonL instead, presumably, but if you have to ship it across the pond there and back every time...

If you need support from Eastern Eu you're basically on island time. If you buy from deep 6 you could pester @LandonL instead, presumably, but if you have to ship it across the pond there and back every time...
For several reasons I can/would buy only from the European supplier.
I am still interested though to hear what people who have use it have to say about it.

@stepfen I know you have said you can not pay 1000€, but considering all your other "wishes", save some more and buy Perdix. BTW, in Croatia it costs around 780€ and you could do a 25% tax return on top of that

@LandonL can you comment on the availability? Since my OP I'm checking divecomputer.eu on a weekly basis and it hasn't been available since then. Even in your site it appears out of stock.
Makes me wonder: Has the production stopped, is it too slow, maybe waiting for hardware upgrades or something else?
Cheers

@stepfen As far as I know production is still going. The hardware is currently on V2, I know of no plans for him to update the hardware again anytime soon. We sold out of the ones we had on hand a while back, but have a few more things in the works.

We will still have more available in the future, and have a few refurb units on hand for sale as well, just call.

Back
Top Bottom