Review: Z-Gear BCD GoPro Extended Mount Build Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFRedrocks

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was able to test out the BCD GoPro Extended Mount Build Kit from Z-Gear this past weekend. Below is my review, including details of each step, from putting the unit together to diving with it.

Pros: Simple and quick to put together, customizable sizing, sturdy and secure, versatile and adjustable during use, great for hands-free filming.

Cons: For me, the mount did get in the way of some tasks, but that was partly due to my gear configuration as described below. Included leash was too short to connect GoPro to BCD when mounted on the extension.

Build: The Z-Gear BCD GoPro Extended Mount Build Kit came mostly assembled, except for the extension arm portion, so building the remainder of the mount was extremely easy and allowed for some customization depending on how long you wanted the extension to be. The kit came with a tool that made snapping the ball/socket joints very easy, so the only decision to make during the build is how many extension arms to connect. You can customize the length, and you can adjust the length at a later time should you desire something different, but for my test I connected all four included extension arms (hence, the “extended” mount). This puts the end of the arm (if straight out in front of you) at a distance of about 16 inches or so, although when diving with it curved a bit, it was probably only about 10 inches or so away from my body. While this was a good length to check the versatility of the mount, I will probably shorten it for future dives to move it a little closer to my body. The entire unit was very stable and adjustable (there are actually a total of 13 independently-movable adjustment points on the mount when all arms are attached), and total time to build the whole unit was less than 5 minutes.

Setup: Setup in the field was very simple, with two included Velcro straps to attach the mount to the shoulder strap of the BCD. As in the Z-Gear YouTube video (https://youtu.be/I9aTHr9kaWE), I installed the mount on my right side BCD strap to keep it away from my inflator hose and SPG. Because I was diving solo and carrying a slung 19cf pony bottle on my right side, along with my wrist computer and hand mounted dive light, this made my right side very crowded, and ultimately made for some frustrations because of the mount getting in my way. This is no fault of the mount itself, but the next time I will just install it on my left side instead. One thing I did notice was that the included leash to connect the GoPro to the BCD was too short for the extended length of the mount. According to the video, there is an extended long-arm leash, but the one that I received was apparently the regular length leash. The mount is very secure so it wasn’t an issue for me, but something I noted in my review.

Donning: Because of the mount placement, it did make it a little more difficult for me to don my scuba unit. Part of this difficulty was also because I was diving in a drysuit with a heavy undergarment and dry gloves, so it wasn’t necessarily a smooth operation anyway. I'm confident that this will probably be made easier in the future by attaching the mount to my left side. Once I got my scuba unit on, it was easy to adjust the mount down and to my side so that it wasn’t in the way while I entered the water from the shore.

Diving: Once I entered the water and started diving, the unit performed great. Having the GoPro mounted away from my body allowed me to see what I was recording (I use a Hero 4 Silver with an LCD screen), and being hands free allowed me to focus on my diving. Because of the placement of my pony bottle, computer, and light all on my right side as described earlier, the mount did restrict my arm movement to some degree (for example, trying to orient my computer compass in the right direction). If I had mounted the unit on my left side, I think most of the “getting in the way” issues would have been eliminated. Overall, I was impressed by the simplicity and adjustability of the mount and how secure it was throughout my dive.

Final Analysis: For those that dive with a GoPro and want (or need) a hands-free setup, this is a great option. It is highly configurable during the build portion, and with the included tool in the kit, putting the extension arms on (or taking them off to shorten the length) is extremely simple. Once configured, it is a sturdy mount for your GoPro and offers the user a great hands-free experience. Most of my issues during the single test dive I was able to do stemmed from placement of the mount on my right side. Because I carry so much gear on that side when solo diving, there were lots of times where the mount (or my gear) just got in the way. With a slightly shorter setup and placement on my left side, I can see this mount being very useful for getting some great dive videos in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_8282.JPG
    IMG_8282.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 127
Sorry about the short leash I am sending the right leash for that to you.
One question I was wondering if you were able to use the zip clamps to help anchor the mount to your chest strap?

I also want to post this pic so everyone knows which mount it is that was reviewed.
7162366.jpg
s780561385371224093_p39_i3_w320.jpeg

Thanks for your participation in this product review.
Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

Last edited:
Thanks for sending the longer leash...I appreciate it.

To answer your question about the zip clamps, no, I did not use them. The main reason is that I mounted the unit on my BCD a bit higher on the shoulder strap, and that was too high to line up with my chest strap (maybe better pictures below). While I could see the added benefit of using the zip clamps, for me the unit was sturdy enough without the additional anchor point. When I dive with it again, I'll mount it on my left side (for reasons explained in the review) and try to line it up with the chest strap so I can test out the added anchoring with the zip clamps.

upload_2016-2-10_17-50-5.png

upload_2016-2-10_17-52-51.png

Sorry, this reply is not meant to be a thread jack but to add to the review of my experience using the Z-gear build a mount kit.

The nifty little kit comes with everything in the photo below except the blue plastic ball joint clamp; but the clamp is highly recommended as it is a major PITA to assemble the ball joints by hand with brute force.

It is indeed highly modular and well thought-out such as some joints of the jaw clamps have black silicon filled in to increase strength and prevent the sockets to pop out too easily. But check the joints after assembly as they still can be too loose which would be a problem especially under water (more on this later).
20160423_220355.jpg
I had to order a few more parts from Z-gear which was sent quickly to make a longer jaw clamp to attach to a selfie pole hoping to extend my video light a bit further out on top of the Gopro in order to provide good amount of light without casting shadows.

Price of the pieces are reasonable especially if you have seen some companies as much as $20US for a piece of Gopro connection because it's for "scuba".

I did not extend the BC mount as much because I am paranoid about entanglement. But on hind sight, I would say adding a few joints rather than keeping it as short as mine would allow some freedom to move the camera such as filming what's behind you!

With the short BC mount I was still able to capture the view in front hands free. You may have to set the Gopro video to capture in "Wide" mode in order to see the field that you are seeing.
20160423_215611.jpg

Regrettably, I did not have much use of the Jaw clamp extention for my video light as one of the clamp's base was not glued down causing my heavy video light to spin around like a top. May be next time.

Overall, I would recommend at least the BCD strap to provide a handsfree body Cam experience so one can focus on diving. Heck, bring two camera down with you!

Thanks again to Frank at Zgear!

I appreciate the feed back from the build a mount participants. I have sent out a replacement grip claw out to Tsuyoshi.
There a few more out there who will be sharing their thoughts and experiences pretty soon so stay tuned.
I would like to add that the extended mount build kit shown by BFredrocks above can be rotated down and out of the way, (down and under am area) when not in use, giving you a low profile prior to filming.

I personally believe that the build system has great potential and I would like to see if others would be interested in creating and building their own mounts. I am extending my offer to Scuba Board members who wish to be a part of this new system.
Here is a clip using the extended mount for those who wish to build a hands free mount.

Let me know what you are interested in building and what parts you would like us to send, so you can build your mount. Do you feel this type of "Build a mount" system is somewhat innovative and fun or is it just to complicated.Give us your honest opinion. Hopefully you can share with us your creation and perhaps maybe even a dive video!
My goal here is to get more people to be creative and try to build their own version of what mount works best for them.
Try and give it some thought, I would love to here your comments.

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom