Review -- ScubaBro -- Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NL1983

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Usually I use forums to find information, but I don't post much. Only when there is limited information or something is extremely good / bad I feel the need to add.

Summary:
OUR short experience diving Anilao (one week of diving dec/jan 2014):
- Good diving, long dive-times, loads to see in the shallows (nice for photography), cheap diving when with multiple people
- horrible resort (Scubabro), i would advise anyone to stay somewhere else. Other places have similar prices and better facilities (we did check after two days, but due to our pre-booked package couldn't really change)

Details
emoji_1F603.png
, I'm writing all this as I could find limited information when I was searching:

How to get there from Manila:
  • The expensive/lazy option:
Pre-arranged transport (php5000 = ~€85 one way). In my opinion unnecessary, but if you don't mind about the money, this is the way to go.

• The medium option:
1. take a metered taxi (~php200) from the airport to bus-station on "buendia", ask the taxi for either Jam Liner or Ceres bus (I preferred the Jam liner). They both have airco and wifi and I (1.93cm) could sit normally.
2. From Buendia take the bus (php157) to the main terminal in Batangas city (NOT to the pier, this is only if you go to Puerto Galera). People in other forums mentioned it takes 2-5hours, but for us it was between 1.5-2h each way. Direct without any other stop along the way.
3. Have your resort pick you up from there by private car (depending on distance php1000-1500 one way)

• The cheap way:
Repeat step 1 and 2 as mentioned under "medium option"
3. From the terminal in Batangas city you take a Jeepney (~php35 per person) as close to your resort as you can (e.g. Mabini or Anilao)
4. Then a " private" tricycle (~php60-80), depending on the distance to the resort. This is a lot easier then it sounds! The Jeepney drops you right at the spot where the tricycles are waiting.

Extra tip:
You can usually put your luggage on top of the Jeepney which will save valuable space inside, because at the terminal they will wait until the Jeepney is completely full (usually around 15-20min) and having the luggage in the middle is a pain (especially if you have my length...)

Anilao and the prices of diving:
We were there on a pre-purchased package including two boat dives per day. This is not really necessary in Anilao, you'll probably be better of (or at least pay the same) not booking this and hoping for others to join the boat. This is how it works at different places (we did ask around):

• Boat, php2200 (closeby sites) to php 2800-3000 for further away sites. This cost can be shared between max. six people
  • Guide, php700-900 (per dive). This cost can be shared between max. 6 people (if you want your own, you just pay the full amount)
  • Government / marine fee, php 200 per day per diver
  • Tank, php 200 per tank per diver

Additional dives (3rd day dive and/or night dives) might work with a different system, ask before you go. We payed php1250 for additional dives.

Conclusion, even when you are just two and go to far away sites with a private boat and guide you pay:​

• Boat (php3000)
  • Guide (php 1600 two dives)
  • Daily fees (php 400 - two people)
  • Tanks (php 800 - two people two dives)
TOTAL:
php 5800 = php 1450 (~€24 per dive).

This is only slightly more than average in the Philippines what we have seen, not bad considering you have your private boat and guide. From there it can only get cheaper fast once you start sharing the boat/guide...

The quality of diving:
We had high expectations for Anilao as it is always mentioned in same sentences with Lembeh and Ambon. We spent several months in Lembeh (in total) and two weeks in Ambon, and were keen to do some comparison. I do realize our experience is limited to just one week of diving!
We had some great dives in Anilao, I especially liked secret garden and secret bay. We saw a lot of different nudis and plenty that we have not seen before. I was expecting to see even more as it is called "nudi-heaven", but overall pretty good. We have not seen any ghost-pipe fish, limited octopuses on day dives (one blue-ring and that's it), limited frogfish (4 in a week, three black and one white). The night dives were fantastic though, both the pier and basura were amazing and very different, make sure you try them both...
We had a good DM that knew how to find things, unfortunately the way "how" was rather disturbing, he touched a lot and poked a lot, not very sustainable or nice for the creatures. I realize we should have said something from the start, but even when we did say things he didn't listen. E.g. Before the nightdive he mentioned he would feed the stargazer, we said numerous times: "don't feed the stargazer" and still he did when we found one. Comparing it to Ambon / Lembeh I would say Anilao is third in this equation, but still very good and enjoyable diving... Compared to our limited experience in Ambon, I find that Ambon has even more nudis, especially on night-dives.

In the end I would advise people to go at least once as you'll probably see new things that you might not have come across in areas like Lembeh or Ambon.

Scuba-Bro resort:
I could write a long-long story what is wrong with this resort, but I'll keep it short and relatively friendly. Simple conclusion don't go here as the value for money is very very low and other resorts in the area will offer more for what you pay. We have visited some others to see if the area in general offers little value for money and although this is somewhat true, Scuba-Bro created a league of its own in low value for money.

First of all you arrive via a long and steep path that looks like it hasn't been cleaned for a long time. We were wondering if we were at the right place, leaves everywhere, the path semi-broken in certain parts etc. The first look of the resort reminded me of a ghost-town: something might have been ok once upon a time, but after zero-maintenance for decades everything is falling apart. The room was bad, horrible matrass, airco had fungus all over so when you switched it on the room smelled bad, the "walls" were almost see-through. Food... I don't know why they even serve it. Cheap, taste less and everyday the same (cut in slightly different forms). Although food was included in the "package deal" we went out to other places a couple of times (which were 20min walking distance) as we really couldn't stand it anymore. The dining area also had a huge lack of maintenance. The pool, I wouldn't dare to jump in it or even come near it. Etc etc, I guess you get the point. Other people that were staying and only pre-booked a couple of days left a quickly as they could... For now I'll leave it at this as I think the picture is quite clear.

Oh btw, the house-reef was rubbish when we were there. We tried and there didn't seem to be much... And yes we can find things by ourselves pretty well normally
emoji_1F60A.png

Anyway that was my rather long explanation, hope it will help other people in the future
emoji_1F60A.png

Cheers

Thanks for the review.
I pay extra seats for not putting my baggage on top of the jeepney a extra 70 pesos is not going to break the bank.
Frank

This was an interesting contrast with my experience with Eagle Point last year, which is not very far from this place. Almost the exact opposite end of the spectrum for the resort itself, in my opinion. It was one of the nicest dive resorts I have experienced, but you pay more, of course (although not THAT much- the place was still pretty cheap compared with what I have encountered in other non-Philippine places). Fascinating how these two resorts contrast so sharply, and in the same area and offering the same dives. This just underscores the importance of research and planning in these matters, and thank god for the resources available here toward those ends.

Back
Top Bottom