Review of UW Photography Class with the Underwater Tribe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tenn0036

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wanted to share with Scuba board members my wonderful experience with taking 1:1 photography classes with the Underwater Tribe below.

I signed up to take two days of one-on-one underwater photography classes the last week of November, 2014 with Mike Veitch who runs the underwater tribe along with Luca Vaime. Mike is an accomplished underwater photographer, and he did an absolutely fantastic and thorough job of teaching me the concepts around underwater photography. He was suberb and very professional! I would highly recommend these underwater photography classes not only to beginners but also to those experienced underwater shooters who want to take their underwater photography to the next level.

I had signed up for two days of instruction, one day of two dives and Padang Bai (for macro), and a second day at Tulamben, Liberty Wreck (for wide angle) one of my favorite wreck dives. The two days of photo instruction includes the cost of the dives, transportation back and forth to your dive sites, as well as a very nice Indonesian lunch in addition to all-day photo instruction with Mike - all in all a great value for your money.

On the first day Mike came to pick me up at the hotel, he immediately put me at ease. This was my first time with a big DSLR set up underwater, and Mike completely made me comfortable helping me with my setup and making sure the entire camera rig was properly in place. His dedication and passion for teaching is evident the moment you start talking to Mike. Not only he is very knowledgeable he is also a great teacher, and is very patient and personable. He spent the time in our one hour drive up to Padang Bai (and the following day, the 2 hour drive up to Tulambeb) talking all about underwater photo techniques which included shooting manually and adjusting aperture, shutter speed, optimal strobe positioning and lighting techniques, ideas on photography composition, how to meter for the perfect blue, how to shoot sun balls, just to mention a few. Once in the water, Mike will work with you 1:1 to ensure that you are able to apply the theories learnt on land to actual underwater situations. The first day was focused on macro photography and he worked with me 1:1 helping me adjust my f-stops/shutter/strobes until the optimal shots of my subjects were achieved. On the second day, we did the same during two dives at Tulamben, and again we went over theory and discussion of photography techniques before and after the dives and this was followed by 1:1 interactive exercises underwater.

I can most certainly say that my underwater photography has improved thanks to expert guidance and instruction I got from Mike. I would highly recommend taking underwater photo classes with Mike as they will no doubt help you improve your underwater shots. For those of you who thinking of taking classes I would highly recommend doing at least two days, one day completely dedicated to macro and another dedicated wide-angle shots, to allow sufficient time to get as much in-depth instruction as possible
spacer.png

This thread would be much better with some images from your class :)

Reactions: RJP
This thread would be much better with some images from your class :)

And - as a first SB post - more believable as being something more than an "ad" for the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom