Review of the RK4 fins from Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pisauron

Contributor
Reaction score
Got my white RK4 fins from Apeks this week and had a chance to dive with them. Might make a video soon.

I own RK3 medium size. And i do like them very much so i thought i might try the RK4s the same size.

So here is my review:

Size
: Although they seem massive they are almost exactly the same size as my RK3.
PXL_20240917_164054021.jpg
PXL_20240917_164103682.jpg

Shoe size: The RK4 and my RK3 are both medium but the shoe size of the RK4 is a bit bigger and my shoes are wobbly just a bit.

Stiffness: They are just slightly more stiff than the RK3.

Material: The material is different, almost identical to my Tecline fins.

Design: Much changed, but under the water it feels exactly the same as my RK3. Back kick and helicopter work just the same.

Strap: Now you can adjust the nut that holds the strap. It has 2 positions. A welcome advancement to get your sizing just right.

Ankle: That is just horrible design. The ankle puller is made of stiff plastic and not foam or something soft. As usual, no hole to put your finger. Just a huge knob that is uncomfortable to use. I had pain the entire dive because of the ankle puller - bad design. When will Apeks drop this stupid thing?

Comfort: I also had pain in the upper part of the foot but that's subjective and depends on the shoes you use.

Buoyancy: Negative! Drops pretty fast down. But don't feel heavy underwater.

Summary:

This is a mediocre product that is not worth the premuim price. Stick with the RK3 - they were better.

My solution:

I Removed the ankle puller from the RK3 and put it on the RK4.

I will do a video review if anyone is interested.

Video review would be cool. And yes that ankle tab looks ridiculous

The new design doesn't look as functional as the old and per your experience don't wear as well either. Truth be told, other than the RK3 and RK3 HDs, the rest of Apex's gear is mediocre and overpriced .

In 24 years of diving with spring straps (pvc tubing over stainless springs), i have never once felt the need for anything to help me pull the spring off my heel.

People think they need something to pull on but it's not really necessary. If people like it and it doesn't get it the way, so be it. But to design it in such a way that it's uncomfortable is beyond dumb.

Back
Top Bottom