Trip Report Review of OceanScape condo at Port Bonaire Residencia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I hesitated to make a glowing review of a destination since it seems to get harder to book after but...

This was our third time at Port Bonaire Residencia and our second stay in one of the three units owned by Connie Rubek and could not have been more pleased. She is among the best owners we have dealt with. Prompt communication via email and even sends an arrival packet with all the info needed to make arrival smooth and your stay complete. Connie does not live on island but she does have someone available if there are any problems. We had none.

This stay was in her one bedroom unit that is the last unit on the ocean end of the second building. So though the airport is across the road the noise issue was truly nonexistent. The condo had everything needed to make a relaxing week for two. The view was fabulous and is one if not the only unit in the complex that has a view of the sunset from the main balcony and yet faces northwest so direct sun on the balcony is not an issue, keeping it pleasant even during the afternoon surface interval. And the balcony chairs are very comfortable. Maybe a little too comfortable.

The bedroom is small but adequate with a king bed and the most comfortable mattress I have slept in. I want one of these for my home! Kitchen is well stocked. Fridge is small but good for two. Ceiling and floor fans in living room. Charging station. All windows screened so you can enjoy the breeze but also ac bedroom and living room if the breeze isn’t there. There is a miniwasher and a drying rack. There is also a drying rod and dive hangers provided on the bedroom balcony. The towels are wonderfully soft.

Dive Friends is quite literally right next door and we used their rinse tanks and lockers for the fins and BPWs. You just exit the resort gate and make a u-turn into DF Port Bonaire. Could not possibly be more convenient and one reason we were able to get in 26 dives this trip. Connie provides a discount voucher.

And to the other side is Kite City Food Truck. In fact, most days we would return to the rental after two morning dives and Eric would go through the secure back gate right next to our unit and walk the short distance on the beach to the food truck for lunch. Then a brief siesta and back out for two more dives. Rinse and repeat.

Port Bonaire is a great staging area to dive both the north and south sites. And of course just minutes from town.

Down side. Well I really had to struggle to come up with any but I always try to do a balanced review. I don’t know if it was typical but we really didn’t get the ocean breeze through the unit as we have at other rentals. Maybe because there is not a direct end to end passage with the unit’s floor plan. Plus rain threatened most days during the first half of our stay. So we ended up using the ac more than typical for us. And the Port Bonaire complex itself does not have a hot tub if that is important to you. But it does have a nice pool and deck area.

There really is not a good house reef. You can dive and snorkel there, in fact we saw a lot of snorkeling this trip, but we just didn’t care for the dive and risk of boat traffic into the harbor.

Last, there is a small combination microwave and convection oven that we found difficult to operate.

It suited us so well I had hoped to book our April trip while there but OceanScape was already booked solid winter to spring so Connie worked with us to get us into her third unit in the same complex and knowing Connie I am sure it will be another great stay.

Oceanscape Bonaire - - Oceanfront Condo wit... - VRBO

Attachments

• BE4D9961-A8AD-40C8-BDBE-0BC5AB69AF49.jpeg
    BE4D9961-A8AD-40C8-BDBE-0BC5AB69AF49.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 223
  • E52D0072-2125-4334-AFF7-3745912CDEA9.jpeg
    E52D0072-2125-4334-AFF7-3745912CDEA9.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 232
  • B073927B-F1DC-476E-A8A1-739E857BDD68.jpeg
    B073927B-F1DC-476E-A8A1-739E857BDD68.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 236
  • 67AE7B95-1364-4B03-B9AE-1D3EEABA9EDF.jpeg
    67AE7B95-1364-4B03-B9AE-1D3EEABA9EDF.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 221
  • C391344C-9DD9-4EE3-A8DD-15A4CF2ED70D.jpeg
    C391344C-9DD9-4EE3-A8DD-15A4CF2ED70D.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 289
  • 5121CEF1-A2A2-4BE3-88BF-97E7FE092256.jpeg
    5121CEF1-A2A2-4BE3-88BF-97E7FE092256.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 287
  • D9EDBCA4-4E01-4D56-8598-6D86CF133E10.jpeg
    D9EDBCA4-4E01-4D56-8598-6D86CF133E10.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 256
Hate those combo Micro/Convections with all the instructions in Dutch. If that's one of the bigger issues, I'll take it! Looks lovely. Had our first snowfall last week, so I booked 2 weeks in March. Too early to start packing?

Oceanscape is awesome and the 20% dive discount does not hurt. Best was the small BBQ to grill fresh caught fish.
FYI - Connie added a 4th unit.

We have stayed in all three of her units and they are all excellent. It’s smaller but I think OceanScape is our favorite. We will be there again this October.

They were remodeling the 4th unit while we were there in April.

Awesome review! I have seen that condo complex on VRBO, and thought the price and location looked good. I was worried about airport noise, but glad to hear it was a non-issue. The lack of a hot tub is a deal breaker:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom