Review -- Mares Power Plana Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was provided with a pair of Mares Power Plana fins to use and evaluate and thought I would tell the Scuba Board world of my experience with them.
I’ve been a strong fan of Jet Fins (I even have a pair from the early 70s) because they allow me to be very precise in my fin movements. What I found with the Power Plana fins was that they provided as much, if not more precision as the Jets but with even more power without any additional effort. This was a huge “win-win” for the Power Plana fins over the various other blade fins I’ve used (both Scubapro Jets and various copies of them).

During my evaluation of the Power Plana, I used them in cold water (with my dry suit), warm water (with a 5mm wet suit) and in the Mexican Caves (again, 5 mm wet suit). In all of these conditions they performed extremely well – giving me the precision feel I want and need along with the power to move forward (or backward) at will.

In short, they have quickly become my fins of choice.

Last weekend, while teaching an Open Water Class, I had a female student who needed to borrow fins (hers didn't fit with her dry suit rock boots). She tried my Power Plana fins and her almost immediate response was, "A lot more power with less effort."

I think she will be getting a pair in the near future.

I've been eying these fins for about a month, how does the foot pocket compare to Jets? What size boot do you wear? How robust does the plastic buckle look/feel? cheers

The foot pocket is a bit smaller than my XL Jets. I can use both a size 12 wet suit bootie AND a size 10 (different brands). My student was using a DUI size 10 (?) rockboot and it fit fine.

I like the spring straps and they seem to be nicely robust.

Cheers, what size did they supply you with?

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2013 at 02:41 AM ----------

Are the straps bungees or springs?

I have a size "R" -- which is, apparently, the smallest size but it fits my 9.5 (US) foot well.

The straps are a "bungie" type.

Hi Peter, just wanted to get your updated views and comments on the Power Plana. Specifically, how it helps or hurts trim when using them in warm waters with a 3-5 mm wet suit. I know it's a negatively buoyant fin but will it still work in warm water wetsuit, single tank setup. Also, how did you find them when using frog and reverse kicks compared to Jets?

I've tried them on in an LDS and the fit is WOW, very comfortable compared to Jets and OMS Slips. The foot pocket is unlike the brick shape foot pockets of the Jets or Slips. I'm considering getting them but I'm concerned about the negatively buoyant nature of the fin in a wet suit. I'm coming from an OMS Slipstream.

I think it's the foot pocket and fit. Mares claims that Unlike competitors’ fins, the Mares rubber fin offers a full-shape foot pocket. I've used Jets and Rockets in the past. I'm now on OMS Slips. The foot pockets of these fins appear like they were designed for bricks. I tried on the power Plana and the difference in fit and comfort is night and day compared to other Tec fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom