Review & a few images - Canon S70 & Sunpak G-flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vkalia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I finally got to spend some time underwater by myself, playing with the camera and taking some shots. Overall summary - good setup, but wish there was a more responsive compact camera with RAW mode.

Have put up a review and some sample images taken with this setup:
http://www.photosafariindia.com/articles/S70-UW/rev3-s70uw.html

Would love to get people's thoughts and comments.

Cheers,
Vandit

Excellent photos and review. You really nailed it.

I think you might be happier with a strobe that has a built-in focus light. It could make the difference for macro photography.

Did the Canon housing come with any dessicants?

Definitely get a wide angle lens. It will give you huge depth of field.

looked at your report, but got caught up in the rest of your website...WOW! I'd love to see some of that some day :D what lens did you use to get the close up Tiger pics?

I tried looking at the larger view of the pictures on this page
http://www.photosafariindia.com/galleries/rajasthan/rajasthan.html
but the larger pictures won't appear...thought you might want to know

Great pictures :D Interesting views :D Thanks for sharing :D

Very nice!

Deserteagle - thanks for the comments.

Yes, I think a real WA is what I miss the most. The big question is - do I get the Inon WA + adapter for the Canon housing, or do I just bite the bullet and get the housed DSLR rig with a 10-20.... re macro, I think I need to first play around with this camera's macro mode on land and get used to its limitations, as well as what the effective working distance is. It doesnt help that I have an injury which has ruined my vision in one eye, and consequently, my depth perception; underwater, I am crap at judging distances, especially on the scale needed for macro.

As for dessicants - dont know if it came with any or no. Luckily, we had a couple diving with us who donated one to my cause... enough to last me the few remaining weeks of the season. Next time I get here, I'l; be packing a jarful of them puppies. I feel like a royal muppet for coming here without a few spares.

Leesa - thank you! It is always nice to know to hear good things about my photos, no matter how much I keep telling myself that "I shoot for my own satisfaction alone." Most of the tiger photos were taken with the 100-400 lens - the one of the tiger in the long grass was with a 500/4 + 2X TC, but that was an exception. The 500 earns its keep in Africa, but for tigers, a handholdable zoom is ideal. A couple of times, the 100mm [130mm on my 1D2] was too long to get a good environmental shot.

And thanks for the heads-up on the Rajasthan links. For some reason, the images were not loaded in the directory. It's been fixed now, in case you want to take a peak.

Regards,
Vandit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom