reverse profile & see-sawing. Guidelines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

First, I sent a private message to BRW but I think something went to mush with the message – so if this is a repeat for you I apologise.

There has been a lot of discussion on reverse profiles and see-sawing on the forum – I have read many of the threads and to tell the truth the quantity of information has over whelmed me!

Reverse Profiles: Are reverse profiles safe if conducted after a surface interval greater than 1 hour (say 3 hours) if the depth difference between the shallow and deep dive is no greater than 12 meters?? Should the 3 hours and 12 meters differential be a rule if you are doing reverse profiles?? I’ve read much of the theory and I am now looking for a definitive answer.

See-Sawing: Is see-sawing safe if done below 10 meters?? Is there a depth differential in relation to the depth change that is safe??

An example maybe a dive to 38 meters maximum, followed by a rise in depth to 28 meters (to say follow a fish), then a decent back to 38 meters. Is this safe? (assuming NDL’s are OK) and assuming a few minutes were spent at the shallower dpeth before decending again.

Personally, I am rather anal when it comes to depth rules. I always do the deepest dive first, always have a longer than 1 hour surface interval, and always NEVER go deeper than the maximum depth attained initially during a dive. I also use pyle stops (half the maximum depth first stop for 2 minutes and so on) and do two safety stops (usually) - one at 5m the other at 3m. However, lately I have been doing quite a bit of diving in PNG and I notice that many divers do not share my philosophy. They do reverse profiles, chase fish up and down the water column with depth changes of 10 meters plus – and they never get bent! Perhaps I am being far too conservative in my approach to dive safety.

I look forward to, hopefully, some straight forward and easy to use guidelines. Thank you………..Iain

iainwilliams:
However, lately I have been doing quite a bit of diving in PNG and I notice that many divers do not share my philosophy. They do reverse profiles, chase fish up and down the water column sometimes with depth changes of 10 meters plus – and they never get bent! erhaps I am being far too conservative in my approach to dive safety.
I don't think you can be too conservative as regards dive safety. But in the end, it may be a trade-off between convenience and maximum safety. Chasing fish up and down the water column isn't a good idea, and doing this in a place at least 12 hours removed from a recompression chamber (e.g. in PNG) seems pretty stupid. You don't mention if your friends follow the recommendations for reverse profiles, but as regards their see-saw profile there is certainly no guarantee your friends will remain unafflicted by DCI forever. I think you're absolutely right to be 'anal' and conservative while diving in PNG, and why not back in Oz, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom