Revenge of the jellies - my camera leaked!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I put on my Lycra suit to do battle with the jellies again today. Their numbers were down but they gave me bad karma anyway. The camera was fine until the end of the dive in very shallow water. I put the camera down on the sand (port up) so I could pull in the dive flag. When I returned to the camera I noticed some condensation in the housing. I looked in the bottom of the housing and the corner was full of water. I kept the housing tilted to pool the water in the corner and surfaced. All may be OK, a little drip or two of water was on the camera body and no liquid inside the battery compartment or card door. I like the way Ikelite has the camera away from the sides of the housing so it does not sit in a leak - a total flood would kill everything. I have insurance on the camera and lens so if it dies I'll see how DEPP is doing on customer service :D. Here are some more stolen souls from today:

810nbp8.jpg

810nbp9.jpg

810nbp10.jpg

Very nice. Glad your camera's OK!

I saw your other stolen souls too ..... maybe not inough room in camera housing for all of them? :wink:

Nice pics all, I hope camera is OK

D_B:
I saw your other stolen souls too ..... maybe not inough room in camera housing for all of them? :wink:...
Maybe it's like Ghostbusters when the containment grid is full.

Beautiful!

Time for a camera sauna?

Do you think it was sand, or what?

great shot love the last one. had that happen once in the camera bucket :11doh:
H20 + camera= paper weight i hope every thing is ok when thing dry out.

catherine96821:
...Do you think it was sand, or what?
I took the housing down to 80' today (without camera) and water squirted in around one of the knobs like a fire hydrant. I'll be getting in touch with Ikelite. I'll probably let DEPP know as well just in case the salt humidity from the first leak starts to mess with the electronics.

Hey Yoda, Great pictures!!!!

I hope all goes well with the camera , but if not DEPP will take good care of you!!

I also like the way ike-lite builds the camera housing to keep the camera up and safe in a partial flood!!

Keep up the good work your pics are sharp!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom