Returning after COVID & Surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemaster_Mark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Thought I'd check in - had an ID here so long ago I couldn't remember what it was, so this is a new handle.

Lived in Keller, TX since '89.

Long ago in HS I learned to dive thru YMCA, J-Valve days. 10 years in the Navy I took the opportunity to fun dive wherever we anchored around the Caribbean, Med and Middle-East. Too expensive to dive after I got off active duty, but I got PADI cert when my son got interested, went on to DM - just helping the local dive shop and took out a few trips.

Now, it's been over 2 years between the pandemic and surgery that kicked my a** - but I'm planning to get wet again in '23

Welcome back!

How can we help you jump back in?
Moral support is encouraging. I'm heading to the gym as we speak, I lost a lot of muscle mass during recovery so that's job one to be able to get up the ladder in gear. Having a talk with a buddy about a spring trip - so Caribbean recommendations welcome.

Part of my therapy included 30 "dives" in a Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber to help with some healing issues. Two takeaways - I know I can still clear my ears and breathing 100% O2 for 2 hours at an equivalent of 66' underwater REALLY FEELS GOOD. Maybe Dennis Rodman is on to something.

My wife was in the same boat - a two year interval since her last dive. We just got back from a week in Key Largo reviewing the basics. She spent a little time with an instructor (which you probably wouldn't need), got dialed in and had a ball in both the shallow regs and down on the Spiegel Grove wreck. She said it was great for her.

All of the liveaboards I've ever been on have been willing to assist divers who had problems with their gear, either in getting it down to the dive deck or back onto the boat.

An update - finally got wet this spring in the Keys. Islamorada - went to a great dive shop - https://keydives.com/

They were great - small groups, I had a REAL Admiral as my dive guide.

I didn't need a LOT of help, but they were right there when I needed them. Moving around the boat when it was underway was the only problem, and I had enough sense to stay seated.

Highly recommended.

On to a big trip next month - can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom