Return to diving after long break

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick_A

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I use to do a lot of diving back in the late 90's early 2000's. I got into aviation in the interim so I am also in to flying as my main hobby. My wife and I did a trip to the Caribbean last fall and we both wished we could go scuba diving.

I got our Scubapro regulators overhauled and we're doing a refresher class next weekend. Hopefully, we'll both enjoy scuba again - if not I may be putting my regulators up for sale. :(

I'm also trying to decide whether or not to use our old dive computers. My wife's has an Aeris 500AI and I have a real antique - an Orca Phoenix. They both powered up after putting new batteries in them and appear to be functioning correctly. I may just pull off the Phoenix and an re-install my old analog gauges.

Depending on sales and such, you can get a pretty decent dive computer for $350 or less.

Do either of those old computers handle nitrox? These days it seems like most all do, and at some destinations that's a feature you're likely to want.

Speaking of which, any idea where & how you want to dive? Are we talking a 2-tank excursion on a cruise every couple of years, or heading out on the M/V Fling for 2-3 day live-aboard trips to the Flower Gardens/Stetson Bank or what?

Richard.

Richard, I had to get out the Aeris manual and I was surprised to find that it does handle nitrox. The Orca Phoenix does not have a nitrox setting. In reading through the Aeris manual, I also see that it supposed to be serviced annually. So now that it's 16 years old maybe I should get it checked out before I let my wife dive with it.

If we find that we both still enjoy diving, we'll probably do 3 or 4 dive trips a year, maybe more.

You're probably going to replace your wife's computer. It's an interesting question; just how long term durable are the various parts in a dive computer? Depth sensors, etc...? Don't know.

If you're blessed to do as much diving as you anticipate, you can justify the cost of a pair of dive computers. I see no harm in renting your 1st trip, maybe buying when convinced you'll follow through and get your money's worth out of them. You might find it convenient to use the same brand & model, so you both know how to use them and the NDL algorithms match. It'll also buy time to think about wrist vs. console, air-integrated or not, PC download capability or not, and pretty color display with a big, intuitive interface (likely more cost and maybe a faster drain on battery) vs. cheaper and more basic but likely a less intuitive interface.

Richard.

P.S.: I wonder how many people get any dive computer serviced annually, aside from battery changes? Or ever, for that matter, if it seems to work fine.

I understand that story! I took about 14 years off diving from '98 to 2012, and in between, built a couple airplanes (yea, I know, friends think there's a death wish there). In '98 I was still using a US Divers Matrix, and some other gear but once I got back into diving (started diving in Seattle), all my old equipment ended up being replaced, not only the computer. At least a SCUBA Unit $ ($1SU) seems to be slightly less expensive than an Aviation Unit ($1AU).

Hey RVBldr - you and I seem to be on the same plan. My plane is an RV-7A that I completed in 2009. If you participate in the VAF forum, I'm out there all the time.

Check your PMs Rick.

Back
Top Bottom