Retrained scuba divers remove undaria from Breaksea Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Retrained scuba divers remove undaria from Breaksea Sound Look like well paid diving holiday :) Or is there anybody believe 3 (three) divers may stop spread of any underwater plant ?
I'm assuming that's a plant that's invasive to the area. They probably can't completely eliminate it. However, they can reduce the impact in a small local area. Where I live, people dive to eliminate lionfish. We'll never completely eliminate them but we do what we can to minimize the impact.

Let's face it, diving to eliminate lionfish or undaria is still diving. It's probably fairly enjoyable until you've done it for a long time and get bored.

If that's a paid gig, then these guys really lucked out. Often gigs like that end up being volunteer in this part of the world. Scientific certs are valuable as well, although the certs appear to be regional. After that gig ends, they might be able to get other scientific diver jobs should they so choose.

Edit:
TFA:
Undaria is an invasive seaweed that poses a risk to Fiordland’s incredibly important marine environment. The Jobs for Nature programme provides a refreshed approach and significant financial investment to remove as much of this invasive marine pest as possible,’’ she said.
“Large scale removal of Undaria from the fiord will help slow the spread and minimise its ecological impacts on the wider Fiordland Marine Area.’’

Well, there ya go.

After that gig ends, they might be able to get other scientific diver jobs should they so choose.
:rofl3:

I used to think that taking low-paid seasonal field jobs would help my scientific career. Nope. They just helped me to get more low-paid seasonal jobs. What institute is going to pay good money when there is a steady stream of idealistic young people eager to do it for peanuts or "experience" -- or even at their own expense?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom