Retractor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a time when I had a 3 gauge console with spg, depth gauge and compass. When I started diving with a computer I realized I did not need the the depth gauge on the console and found it cumbersome to use the compass on the console as well.

Initially I switched the compass to a retractor and clipped it to a d-ring on my left shoulder strap. I was concerned that if the cord of the retractor broke I would lose the compass and also found it easier and more intuitive to mount the compass on the back of my left hand (Suunto SK7/SK8 with a bungee mount).

For the past few years I have been diving with a hoseless AI computer, but I still have the SPG mounted on my reg set...it has a bolt snap lashed to it that gets clipped off to my left waist D-ring.

However you decide to setup your gear should only matter to you. If you want to use a retractor for your gauge console go for it... the fact that the gauge console is otherwise connected via the hp hose means if the retractor fails you won't lose equipment. Be aware that retractors come in different pull strengths....one for a torch or a compass may not be strong enough to retract fully/properly.

Also, I have seen divers clip the retractor on their right shoulder/chest area causing the hose and console to cross their chest...this is not advisable as it makes it more difficult to get out of the BC when in a hurry....if you are the victim it is not so much a problem, unless the cord is steel cable, as it could/will be cut away in an emergency, but if you are rendering assistance or otherwise need to remove your gear in a hurry then it could cause problems....just don't clip it across your body and you should be fine.

-Z

Do most of you guys use a retractor to hold your gauge console?
I used to, but I repented. :D I want things to be tight against my body and retractors don't do that. But then, I don't dive a console anymore either. If I have an SPG, it's clipped to my left chest D-Ring. But often I'm sporting my Shearwater on my wrist with air integration and I don't even have that.

Probably not most.
I use a retractor on my console, one for my inflator hose and one for a flashlight I have on my left shoulder. All are at least 10 years old and work fine.
Do you have a picture?

we teach with gauge consoles. They are cross clipped to the right shoulder D-ring to keep everything tidy and easy to see. You can look down and see most of the information quickly enough, but unclipping it is quick and easy.

My wife and daughter both use something like this to secure their Oceanic Pro Plus 2 with compass to their right chest D-ring, as per @tbone1004 . They find it easy to pull away a bit for a better view of all of the information. The retractors seem very sturdy, last many years. They leave the retractor on their BC and the connector on the console
upload_2020-7-8_9-59-46.png

I had used one for a compass on the chest d-ring, it was a lot easier to hold correctly For navigation than when wearing it on the wrist. This was because when you pull it, you can then hold the compass in the middle of both hands, so it easier to hold it ‘straight’.

I never used one to hold a console though.

as an instructor i use a re tractor all the time for slates notes etc

Do you have a picture?

I'll work on it been out all morning, having brunch now. Pancakes and bacon MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!

I have 3 pictures one of each retractor, the oldest is the big one with a frog on it the 2nd oldest is the one on the flashlight, and the inflator hose is the youngest of the litter. The flashlight retractor looks the best because it is protected by it's location, I don't very often rub the top of my shoulder against anything.

I use velcro to attach the retractor and the snap clips, makes them easier to remove and/or relocated if required.

The console is on my left the retractor is on my right so the hose goes across my body, the console hangs in the center of my body, and stretches out straight in front of me for compass use, my computer and SPG are on the console so it's a a one stop data center.

Also those that have concerns about SS cables note each end has squeeze clip at the end, squeeze both sides and it becomes unattached.
DSCN2796.JPG
DSCN2791.JPG
DSCN2794.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom