Retractor receommendation for Ikelite PCm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cal776

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I do most of my diving with an Ikelite PCm backup dive light. Previously I attached the dive light to one of my harness D-rings with a snap bolt and a key ring loop. Due to some issues associated with rust and ergonomics, I would like to switch to a proper retractor. Can anybody recommend a suitable one?

Since the light is so lightweight, I don't want one with so much tension that when I let go, it snaps back at my chest at breakneck speed. I assume that a locking mechanism would be preferable, if only to prevent a constant tug of war with the retractor when the light is in my hand and being used. Finally, since I like to be streamlined and have deliberately chosen a very small light, I would hate to undo some of my good work by using a bulky retractor.

One of the options I have considered is the "Innovative Locking Gripper with Brass Snap" made by Innovative Scuba Concepts. Would this be a good choice or should I consider something else?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Let me preface all of this by saying I'm not trying to steer you away from the retractor, if that's what you want, then that's what you want.

But I'm curious about the issues you had with the snap bolt. You mentioned rust. Are you using a SS snap bolt? If so, rust shouldn't be an issue. Or was it the key ring that rusted? If so, have you thought about using cave line to attach the snap bolt to the light?

As for ergonomics, what size snap bolt are you using? Maybe try a larger size?

Again, not trying to steer you away from the retractor. Its just that I've never had a problem with the snap bolt setup and have, in the past, had retractors break on me.

It was the key ring that rusted. The stainless steel snap bolt was fine. Using cave line instead seems to be a good solution to that problem.

Since I use my Ikelite PCm as a primary light during daytime dives, I have a concern about losing the light once it is unclipped if I don't use a retractor. My concern is not that I would be plunged into darkness, since we are talking about daytime diving. However, I would prefer not to have a $30 light wholly unsecured because that seems like a recipe for dropping it into the blue abyss.

have you considered using a lanyard? that way when you are using even if you drop it or need to drop it for hands free it will still be attached to your wrist...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom