Rethinking my choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I had decided that when I could afford them I was going to buy 2 PST HP 100 tanks. Small, light, and more air.These would be great for diving with my wife and son on dives near home.

Now, I have been looking at more training. This year I plan on taking courses for Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures (NAUI or TDI).
If my diving goes in this direction I might be better off with either PST LP 95's or 104's. Still have more air, Better for filling (don't have to worry about getting a short fill) and better for pp blending.
But, these are 11 to 13 lbs heavier and would not be a lot of fun (before and after) on some local dives.

One shop that we use, No problems doing HP fills. others in the area, I don't know.

There may be doubles in my future. Does anyone double up HP's?

So I guess what it comes down to is.........
HP would be nice for local recreational dives with wife and son.
LP would be better for my training and where that might lead.

My solution would be both.
But,I can't afford both.

Any of your thoughts on this would be appreciated. :)
Thanks, Tavi

I frequently dive a doubled set of Genenis HP102s.
For caving I use LP steel, OMS 112 as they were significantly lighter than PST . I also have a very old OMS 104 which is, IMHO the best tank for the weight ever made and if any one has a mate for me so I can manifold them, please o please let me know!
I have a set of PST 95 doubled which I almost never touch--they are too heavy fort the air you get. I bring them along as a second set for conditions where I may not be able to get my prefered set filled

But my needs may be different than yours.
If I were a guy, I would probably not have bothered with the HP--there is no real advantage, but I cannot lift doubled steel onto a truck bed or into a fill tank, walking distances with them exhausts me and tankes a large amount of pleasure our of a day of diving.

I use the steel for caving only (no flames please guys, this one has been beat to death already) because they can be used at fill pressures higher than the DOT stamp and allow SIGNIFICANTLY more air for penetration.

If you are not going to exceded DOT working pressures, steel loses most of its advantage. I occassionally have problems with getting 3500fills, but not often. Tho it is not uncommon to have to fire up the compressor to top it off.

I have never used a HP single. I like the steel with neoprene or a dry suit for the backweight.

The HP alloy is also less prone to corrosion if you will be in salt water--but galvanized steel and a little care works too.

HTH

I

The PST hp tank is really a superior product. It is a technical wonder, the steel is so different from other alloys that it is manufactured under a special permit. It is incredibly light compared to other hp tanks and has near perfect SW buoyancy. Works well with bare skin or wet suit. Its exterior is HOT DIP galvanized and will last a long time. The interior is sand blasted. It requires a DIN valve.

However, the OMS tank is also quite good. Although the exterior is "metallized" and painted, a tad less resistant to abuse, the interior is coated with a unique metal oxide which resists rust. The weight and buoyancy of the LP tanks are very favorable for skinnin' it or wearing a wet suit. The LP tank may be equipped with DIN or standard valve.

Fortunately, the OMS type tank can be purchased under the generic FABER brand for a lot less(look for discount). In spite of the 2600 rated press, either can be safely filled to 3000 psi. Before buying, be sure that your wife is capable of carrying a "100" on a rocking boat or in surf. If she's smaller than 5'6" and/or less than 130 pounds you might consider something closer to an "80" for her. Remember, this size tank will overpressurize about 15% with no problem(check burst disk in valve). Of course, these fills may not be available everywhere.

Originally posted by devjr
Before buying, be sure that your wife is capable of carrying a "100" on a rocking boat or in surf. If she's smaller than 5'6" and/or less than 130 pounds you might consider an "80" for her. Remember, this tank will still hold nearly 90 cu ft if overfills are available.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. My wife already has her own tanks.(she has an aluminum 80, and plans on getting another just like it). I don't have mine yet. My air consumption being more than hers we should be pretty close to equal if I have larger tanks.

I have my mind made up on PST. I just haven't decided between HP 100's, or LP 95's or 104's
My reg is DIN, I use a yoke adapter when on vacation in the Caribean.

I'm starting to think LP is the way to go. I just want to make a good decision and not regret it later. If I planned on "always" being a recreational diver I would get the HP 100's. I plan on training "towards" tech. So maybe the LP's are a better choice.
?????????????

Thanks for the responses, Tavi

Originally posted by devjr
Fortunately, the OMS type tank can be purchased under the generic FABER brand for a lot less
Do you have a source?
Rick

my question should have been,
which steel HP or LP tanks do you use for singles or doubles and why?

Originally posted by Tavi

Hi Tavi,
I dive double PST LP104s...
It is a big package... 150# with SS plate, regs, light and argon...
Before I doubled them up...
I used to don a single 104 with the SS BP and Weighted STA...
Over my head...
I don't do that now with the doubles...

Before I bought the 104s I dove PST HP102s but not doubled...
The seem very compact now!!
I really like them but getting good fills can be a problem here...
Especially with nitrox... (not to mention any other mix)...
I pump my own nitrox and my compressor is set to shut off @ 3400...
This works out fine with the LP104s...
I bank EAN32 at 3400 and to top the 104s is a piece of cake...
For me LP was the way to go...

However I will be calling back my HP102s to take along on the Sunshine Coast Dive trip (check the travel forum)...
I will use them as singles...
And take the double 104s along with mix...

Originally posted by Tavi
Which? - I use PST LP 95's with "H" valves for singles; OMS LP 85's doubled. I dive both with the Transpac.
Why? - Don't like HP for all the regular reasons already alluded to by others.
------------
For Uncle Pug - You still doin' the single over-the-head thing too? I only do it when nobody's watchin' 'cause I'm told it's bad and we don't want to teach the students any bad habits... but I still think it's the easiest and safest way to get into a single.
Rick

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
For Uncle Pug - You still doin' the single over-the-head thing too? I only do it when nobody's watchin' 'cause I'm told it's bad and we don't want to teach the students any bad habits... but I still think it's the easiest and safest way to get into a single.
Rick

Rick I agree with you...
But out of my five regular dive buddies I was the only one who would do it that way...
I can't see what is wrong with it at all...
I think I'll start a thread on *donning your rig*...

BTW...
I haven't even thought of trying it with the doubles...

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

BTW...
I haven't even thought of trying it with the doubles...
HHhhhaarrr!
Doubles.
Right.
Mebbe I'd have tried 30 years ago, but now that *does* sound like a slipped disk.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom