Retail Sales Slump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eagleray2003

Reaction score
Just finnished reading an article about slumping retail sales and how retailers are saying it was the worst Christmas sales in over 30 years. My question is do scuba retailers rely heavily on the Christmas selling season? And if so how badly hurt will they be?
The article claims 2003 could see record numbers of bankrupt and retail store closures this has to heavily impact a seasonal, recreational business, will the slowing economy force some scuba retailers to close their doors? I have heard of a few scuba shops who have already closed up shop.
May force some of the weaker shops to close up.

Both of the LDS that I frequent have been really empty. Not good. Still, times are tough all around.

I think my drysuit purchase may have been the biggest sale for the last few weeks.

Remember to buy early and buy often!

Peter Doege

For the dive shops i'm familiar with, the X-mas season is rarely their best sales time of year. Most people aren't actively diving up here in the frozen north except for the occasional trip south. They do sell a lot of masks/fins/snorkels for that.

They do most of their selling June through August during the peak dive season up here.

Seems every year those same articles come out saying; a bad retail sales year or worse sales year in decades, etc, etc. Yet in our neck of the woods, you see more stores, more packed parking lots, more congestion in the stores and sales counters. For every store that goes out of business, two or three replace it.

You could have fooled me as i was fighting off the hoards at Best Buy on 12-14 to purchase one of the last Xboxes on the shelf that came with two games. Standing in the check out line, thinking i really pulled off a coup gift, my quest was deflated as i watched a steady line of big screen plasma TV's and home theatre stereo systems being hauled out the door.

Nah, from my observation the retailers did fine. Retail is one of the few industries that expects double digit increases each year. If they don't get it, they had a bad year. IMHO, don't buy into the press unless you understand how they are determining what a bad year is. They might not have sold what they wanted to sell but i don't buy the worse year, in 30 years stuff.

JMO

I don't think the economy is slowing down at all.. I wish people would stop listening to analysts.. They are always predicting doom and gloom. People listen to them and actually start believing their stories and actually stop spending money because they heard we are heading towards another recession...
As for small LDSs closing.. Its not a surprise.. I've seen a lot of LDS where the owners have no business sense at all... The good stores with a decent selection, and good service will always be around. Its just not enough these days to carry one brand of equipment, no inventory (so you have to special order everything), and an aging compressor to call yourself a dive shop.. People just expect more. 'nough said..
My LDS provides excellent service, decent prices, and they have most things in stock in a veriety of sizes... I also value their opinion in terms of gear selection...
Why am I rambling on?! I have no idea.. better stop.

My local LDS did very well in December, tonnes of Drysuit sales and plenty of snokel packages etc etc.

The economy is doing fine as noted. I suggest we just keep on spending and not listen to all the business idiots who have nothing better to do with their time.

:jump:

are actually down for us.....Transaction numbers are up, but $ volume is down.....The shopping seemed to start late this year also...The parking lots were full, but...............I do agree that the LDS sales are mostly in the late spring until mid fall.......The ones who couldn't run a one car funeral shouldn't be in business anyway....................

Butch103 once bubbled...
are actually down for us.....Transaction numbers are up, but $ volume is down.....The shopping seemed to start late this year also...The parking lots were full, but...............I do agree that the LDS sales are mostly in the late spring until mid fall.......The ones who couldn't run a one car funeral shouldn't be in business anyway....................
Just out of curiousity Butch, what area of retail are you in?

our lds was raking in the money this holiday, got our family for about $700

My wife owns a gift shop. We have a couple of close friends in the same type of business, one in the same town (right across from my wifes) and another in a different town. Their experiences were the same. We found this year to be one of the slowest. December came very close to historical numbers but November was down.. We consider the last couple of weeks of November to be the beginning of the serious Christmas season shopping. Don't know the reason for the slowdown.

Quoted from an e-mail I recieved:

Good News/Bad News
First the bad news: As many of you know, West Michigan Dive Center retail sales have been struggling over the past couple of years. The economy of Michigan along with the internet sales market has made it difficult to compete. West Michigan Dive Center is no longer able to operate at 2516 Glade Street. The retail store is now closed.

WMDC Travel Center Stays Strong
Now the good news: West Michigan Dive Center Travel Department IS still fully operational! Heather Bloom and Colin DeVries, Travel Coordinators, are running this business out of their home offices by phone, email, and the website, West Michigan Dive Center Muskegon, MI - Scuba Diving Training Classes, Scuba Gear Retail Store & Dive Travel Center. They are also available by appointment to discuss your individual travel needs. Heather and Colin are committed to continue the professional dive travel service that you deserve and expect, both individually and in groups. Check out the website to see what is in already planned! We'll still have the Winter Deco Stop Photo Party every year, as well.

A Note from Dan and Heather: We thank you for enriching our lives at WMDC over the years! Special thanks to Chuck and Joan Hacker, whose vision and hard work began WMDC over 30 years ago. All the WMDC instructors and divemasters who inspired others to enjoy their passion. All the dedicated store staff who worked in sales and service to keep divers diving. Colin DeVries, who with patient and humble expertise inspires so many students and travelers to explore the world through diving. And to YOU, our diving community of friends who supported our dream over the past 12 years. THANK YOU! Let's Keep Diving!

If we had been able to sink a vessel, I believe we'd still be in business. The hours spent for a lost cause was heartbreaking at the last denial from MDEQ. As we know, it is not just WMDC that lost. The whole area and state tourism revenue lost. Such a domino effect.

(231) 855-1353 Heather's Cell (WMDC Travel)
(231) 670-7663 Colin's Cell (WMDC Travel)
Email: westmidivectr@aol.com
Website: West Michigan Dive Center Muskegon, MI - Scuba Diving Training Classes, Scuba Gear Retail Store & Dive Travel Center

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom