Restoring brass artifacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flymolo

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have any good guides or resources online for restoring old brass artifacts found in saltwater? I've got a bunch of brass I'd like to clean up this winter. I've soaked a few objects in vinegar and hit them with a nylon brush afterwards, which yielded decent results on newer artifacts, but the older ones are going to take more than that.

Yeah that's it deface your ocean patinated treasures so they look like all the other crap brass from the junk shop

I find using warm tomato sauce / ketchup. smother the object you want cleaning in the stuff, let it sit for 10-15 minutes in a warm location, soft tooth brush and or sponge will get most tarnish off easily enough

Yeah that's it deface your ocean patinated treasures so they look like all the other crap brass from the junk shop

I don't think I would have put it quite like that but why not leave that gorgeous patination on it? All that discoloration and variation of surface tells its story and gives it life and history. You can get shiny brass anywhere. Keep them crusty. You can always polish it some point. You can't put all those years back on it.

sandblast cabinet, wire wheel, buffer

Attachments

• 20230103_131011.jpg
    20230103_131011.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 42
@flymolo : I seem to recall that vinegar and salt (which works as a mild abrasive) does a good job on brass. I have to echo the thoughts of others, however, that preserving the item "as found" is a more vivid reminder of the item's history. But ultimately your choice if a cleaned up item is what you want...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom