Restaurants that serve Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Tank 58

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The last couple of times I was in Coz, you could not find lionfish in the restaurants. With less diving on the reef I was wondering if they are more plentiful again. I definitely don't want them on the reef but when they are they're mighty tasty.

Not really, they have been hunted very heavily. Several years back I would often take 10 or more on a dive. Now on a very good dive I may get 5 and that is by going deep off the walls that do not get a lot of divers.
I also am not seeing the numbers of small ones I used to. I suspect some of the critters have gotten over the chemical repellant they have on their eggs and are eating them.

After the scourge of the lionfish invasion on the reefs it would be ironic if restaurants on Cozumel would have to start importing lionfish to satisfy the demand. If you have shrimp in a restaurant it's possible they came in on the same plane you did, so I guess it wouldn't be impossible.

After the scourge of the lionfish invasion on the reefs it would be ironic if restaurants on Cozumel would have to start importing lionfish to satisfy the demand. If you have shrimp in a restaurant it's possible they came in on the same plane you did, so I guess it wouldn't be impossible.
That would be ironic

We got several pretty good-sized ones on the Eastside when I was down in November. However, I barely saw any on the Westside. Cerveceria Punta Sur was selling lionfish pizza so someone is still finding them somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom