Restaurant recommendations for dinner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTK is on Melgar (the main drag) and cabs are constantly cruising that road between town and La Ceiba (past VTK) looking for fares. It is rare that I walk out to the street from my hotel and have to wait more than 5 minutes before one cruises up flashing his lights. The drivers know all the restaurants and nearly all have enough English that even if you have no Spanish at all you'll have no trouble getting where you want to go. The only minor hassle with them is that they deal in small denomination bills and coins, and they rarely can or will have change for a large denomination note. You can, of course, pay in US$, but the exchange rate they use is very much not to your advantage.

I agree with ggunn on the taxis. Although there are not as many taxis going back and forth as pre-pandemic, you won't have to wait long. Definitely use pesos to get the best deal and ask/negotiate the fare before getting in the car. The drivers are desperate for work/fares and very flexible. If you like a driver or want to be picked up every day on a schedule just ask the driver. Better yet, get his phone number so you can text/call when you need a ride. Don't necessarily take their recommendations for restaurants, they usually have an 'in' with certain places.

Don't forget Le Chef. Used to be on 5 and 3 and moved to waterfront near the museum

When we were there for two weeks last September, the taxis were so hungry for work that several times they waited at the restaurant for us to finish and then took us back to the hotel. One night we went to a bar and he offered to come back at 10 (the closing time then). I said I can't commit to that, we were meeting friends and we might go to other places. He shrugged, said he'd be back at 10, if we did something else no problem.

I have been using a father son taxi service when on island...text or WeChat and they are there...used him to hit a beach club on the otherside of the island...great family...happy to share number..pm if intereste

Reliable and pleasant.

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
I have been using a father son taxi service when on island...text or WeChat and they are there...used him to hit a beach club on the otherside of the island...great family...happy to share number..pm if intereste Reliable and pleasant.

Do they have a licensed taxi? If so, I'm not a fan of that. When we visited in December we took plenty of taxis around town and almost every driver handed us his card and asked that we call, text or whatever him whenever we needed a cab, anywhere.

Now, over almost 20 years of visiting Coz how many times have I watched members of the Taxi Mafia yell and scream at each other because a taxi stopped for me that I signaled while walking along one side of the street and the taxi stand was on the other all lined up? Not my job to cross the street and get in line if there's an empty Taxi right in front of me on my side of the street.

Long story short, I've hated the Taxi Mafia for almost 20 years because they commonly screwed so many people so many times who don't know the zones and the official fares. The only time they ever band together is when it comes to ideas of water taxis and new airport competition. Other than that, they have proven during Covid that there is no honor among thieves.

These days watching them sit in or around their taxis for hours and hours everywhere waiting for a fare, I'll go to the taxi stand and leave a decent tip because I know he's been waiting for hours in line while his mafia brothers hand out their personal cards and try to screw everyone else. If you're staying on the island these days, you are considered a Whale that every taxi driver wants to land for the entirety of your stay.

We are totally off topic. Again.

So, back to food, had absolutely fantastic tacos at Taquerias El Nero back beside the Domino's pizza. Loved the tables loaded with multiple sauces and toppings to put on our tacos. This is a small private Mexican chain that entered Coz a few years ago and quickly has built a reputation but it won't show up on Tripadvisor's most recommended (not yet at least). Started with a few mobile carts that are still there and has grown to a big now fully tiled and covered, dining area behind the carts.

And I have to add Taqueria Chilangos for the best authentic huaraches on the island just 1 block south of El Nero.

Eat where the locals eat! They know good Mexican food. If they could cook better at home they wouldn't be visiting these establishments.

Love Chilangos. Some days they have tamales for a nice treat. Cheap and good. I have long said...look for local faces if you want good food.
View attachment 641108 View attachment 641109

And I have to add Taqueria Chilangos for the best authentic huaraches on the island just 1 block south of El Nero.

Eat where the locals eat! They know good Mexican food. If they could cook better at home they wouldn't be visiting these establishments.

DISCLAIMER: Although I have been to Cozumel 30 or 40 times, all the data I have is pre pandemic.

VTK is on Melgar (the main drag) and cabs are constantly cruising that road between town and La Ceiba (past VTK) looking for fares. It is rare that I walk out to the street from my hotel (Blue Angel) and have to wait more than 5 minutes before one cruises up flashing his lights. The drivers know all the restaurants and nearly all have enough English that even if you have no Spanish at all you'll have no trouble getting where you want to go. The only minor hassle with them is that they deal in small denomination bills and coins, and they rarely can or will have change for a large denomination note. You can, of course, pay in US$, but the exchange rate they use is very much not to your advantage.
Thank you. My husband is fluent in Spanish so no worries with language. I guess on the first day we could take a cab into town and get pesos at the grocery, and pick up a few basic items to keep in the room during the week like PB&J, oatmeal, etc for times we just want to grab something quick.

Another good place to get Peso's is the Banamex ATM at the airport. They closed the hallway between the arrival and departure areas to make more offices so you have to go outside and then come back in to departures. There is cluster of bank ATM on the west side. Banamex's ATM service charge is one of the cheapest @ about $31 MXN. DECLINE any 'conveniance exchange' offers. Let your bank do the conversion the convenience exchange options the ATM's started push a few years back clip you for around 6-8%. It's a scam practice that came over from europe

DECLINE any 'conveniance exchange' offers.

Yes! When using most any Bank ATM they now ask if you if you want to accept their exchange rate and proceed... As if you press "decline" your transaction will be cancelled or something. Press "decline" and get the exchange rate your US bank is offering, not the lousy rate the mexican bank wants to offer you. Remember, the Mexican bank gets the same exchange rate your US bank is offering so if you accept their lousy rate you just handed them the difference. Criminal behavior in my opinion but it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom