Restaurant ID in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealskin98

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Could anyone tell me the name of the restaurant I'm thinking of? Reading Kat's trip report got me to wondering.

We used to call it "The House" because it didn't have a sign when we first started eating there; it is the dining room and kitchen of a house turned into a restaurant. They have a sign up now but I can't for the life of me remember the name.

You turn off of the coast road and go between the soccer field and police station for about two blocks, then turn right for about a half-block and it's on the left.

Great place for lunch, cheap prices and great food. We even took lobster we caught while diving Barracuda/San Juan reefs (outside of the park areas of course), and they fixed it for us with the requested drawn butter that we brought with us for the sauce and also added some chopped garlic. Great!!!

I know EXACTLY where you're talking about..great place! But I'm drawing a blank for the name. Like you, it's always been either The House or Maria's...don't know if that was the ladies name or not.

I betcha DocV knows!

I'm pretty sure you are talking about Chilango's. It's on Ave. 10 between Calles 15 & 13. This type of restaurant where you are eating in someones living room is referred to as a Concina Economica and if you look, you can find quite a few of this style restaurant all over Cozumel.

We've eaten in several Concina Economicas in town and in our opinion, Chilango's is the best we've tried in Cozumel. You'll find dining tables in the entry room of this home It isn't hard to find; just look for the sign on top of the house painted on a surf board. I've got a photo of the outside at the web page below.

Joel

http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_restaurants.html

Another name for this type of restaurant is Comida Corrida which translates to something like "food on the run."

Another very good one is Sabores Loncheria in a little yellow house on Av. 5 between Calle 3 & 5. In addition to tables in the living room, there is additional seating out back in the garden. If you do sit in the garden, you'll be lead to your table through the kitchen where the cook will gladly lift the lids on whats cooking so you can have a look.

The meal comes with a choice of soup, a choice of about 5 entres and an iced pitcher of jamica or hibiscus flower tea. It's a good size meal of authentic local cuisine and at about $40 pesos, a pretty good deal too.

Joel
http://www.mxtravel.com

Casa Mission fits that bill as well. Did they have a mini zoo in the back yard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom