Responsibilities...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jang

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I thought I would come out of the shadows and join your web community. I would like to gather information on a near miss incident that occurred recently.

My dive buddy (OWSI) and myself (AOW) were diving in a popular wall dive off of an island (I will leave it un-named, to prevent incriminating myself and my buddy) in BC, Canada that was no so popular this day due to cool temps (10 deg C) and overcast conditions. We arrived on site with three other dive teams on our charter. We went through the dive briefing by the captain and instructed us on boat safety, where to go and what to see. The boat was operating as a live boat as no anchoring or mooring bouys are allowed. The instructions were to go until moderately strong currents were felt and turn around back to the boat. There were no specific instructions as to what to do in a surface, or underwater emergency...you can see where this is going.

After we completed weight checks, we cruised around and saw the sites. My buddy had been there a few years ago and was showing me around. I noticed that the current was picking up and grew concerned (1st mistake). I relied on my buddy's local knowledge and deemed the situation OK. The current became quite strong, in my opinion, to the point that regular kicking was only adequate to maintain position. I signalled to my buddy to surface and return to the boat. We surfaced some distance away from the boat and attempted to signal for a pickup. The signal was not returned, nor were we seen by the captain or anyone else aboard. Due to currents at the surface and ample air, we decided to descend and attempt to swim back near the bottom where we assumed that currents would be weaker (2nd mistake) This was unsuccessful and we were only able to make minimal headway back to the boat. Ascending, we made the decision to continue to signal for a pick up and wait. The current was now strong enough to make a surface swim impossible and we began to drift out to sea. Concern began to grow as our attempts to maintain station and signal were fruitless (whistle, lights and strobes, no SMB as this was a travel trip - 3rd mistake). Our decision was to surface swim cross current to a near by island 100-150metres away because beyond that was only open ocean. Thankfully, we were able to make it to the island and were then able to signal to two nearby whale-watching boats that just arrived. They relayed our position on the radio to the dive boat and we were successfully recovered.

In attempt to learn from this event, I would like to ask the esteemed members their opinions:
1. What should or could we have done differently with the equipment and experience availbable?
2. Did we react appropriately? My buddy and I discussed the incident and agreed that the obvious answer was that we should have turned back sooner.
3. We signaled and waited for pickup but this did not occur. We assumed that there might have been another emergency aboard that would have prevented a pickup.

I would appreciate any constructive feedback. We're all adults here, I don't need to be told how stupid we were, how dangerous the situation was or could have been, etc. I'm merely asking on an assessment of our actions and on what could have been done differently. Thank you in advance.

One question I have is, did the current change directions mid dive? You swam until you experienced a strong head on (my interperetation) current.....this would imply that you can either drift back or that you could just retrace your steps to avoid the current on the way back. I am sure there is something about this site that I am missing though.

1. My first recommendation is never do an open water dive in a LARGE body of water without an SMB. But you already know this. (a quarry would be different)
2. Always trust your gut. If it says turn around, turn around. But you already know this.
3. You were already on the bottom and knew that you could not kick to advance so there was no point descending to the bottom in an effort to make headway (unless this was done for safety due to boat traffic - but this is obviously not the case)
4. If you were definitely unable to swim back to the boat then swimming to land was the right thing to do (if the other option was open ocean).
5. If at any point you decided to just sit in one spot rather than to swim towards the boat, you did the wrong thing IMHO (if this just happened because you were swimming into a current then different story)

I am not sure about your point of
....no SMB as this was a travel trip.....
because the SMB is one of the smallest scuba items I have and thus one of the easiest to pack. NEVER leave home without it. My suggestion is be prepared to launch the damn thing while driving down the highway. Never leave the boat or the shore without it.

Also, what is the experience level of your buddy (and yourself). Are you guys OW and AOW with only 15 dives or do you have hundreds logged? EDIT - I know you are OW and AOW but my question here is how experienced are each of you? Certification level does not necessarily state how experienced a diver is.

I am sure others will come with some great feedback but this is my opinion.

Finally, welcome to :sblogo:

Last edited:
If you were diving along a wall, would it have been possible to use the wall structure to pull yourself in the direction you needed to go? It is often much easier to make headway against current (or flow) by the use of the hands. Yes, it damages the environment, but if you have to get back to the boat or get blown out to sea, and the boat is ignoring you, that seems preferable.

Did you ever find out why the boat did not acknowledge your signals?

We had a similar situation off a dive boat this summer. We were diving along a wall, and the expected course was to drift to the far end of the wall and surface and get picked up there. For us, however, the current reversed mid-dive, and we ended up back where we had been dropped. When we surfaced, the boat was disappearing around the far corner, to pick up some divers who had been blown around the point. Current was moving us away from where the boat was, but was something we COULD and did swim against. We were also quite sure, knowing the boat, that they would come back for us, which they did. Had the current gotten too strong for us, I would have grabbed a rock at the surface and held on. (We also had DiveAlerts -- which are MUCH louder than whistles -- and SMBs).

I take an SMB and spool on every boat dive, whether it's from my own boat, a local charter, or a travel trip.

It looks like you realize your error and mistakes. I applaud you for asking and looking for other information on what you could have done.

Besides the obvious, (having the right gear, SMB, ect.) I think you did fine by choosing to go to the island. I’d much rather spend an afternoon on a small island vs drifting out to sea.

In attempt to learn from this event, I would like to ask the esteemed members their opinions:
1. What should or could we have done differently with the equipment and experience availbable?
2. Did we react appropriately? My buddy and I discussed the incident and agreed that the obvious answer was that we should have turned back sooner.
3. We signaled and waited for pickup but this did not occur. We assumed that there might have been another emergency aboard that would have prevented a pickup.

I would appreciate any constructive feedback. We're all adults here, I don't need to be told how stupid we were, how dangerous the situation was or could have been, etc. I'm merely asking on an assessment of our actions and on what could have been done differently. Thank you in advance.

You are supposed to swim into currents. Were you initially swimming into the current or with it? Were you carried away from the wall by the current or did the current just pick up speed?
You should have returned as soon as the current changed from your expectations.
Given that you already were having trouble making headway, resubmerging was a mistake.
As already stated, the SMB is critical for such situations and is relatively easy to carry.
I think your decision to swim to the island was very smart. Better to be lost on a small island than in the Pacific Ocean.

I once had a current appear "out of nowhere" in the San Juan Islands and pull me away from the wall and down. My buddy and I spent a few anxious minutes riding the current and kicking to the surface. When we got to the surface we were on the opposite side of the boat than when we had submerged and the captain and DM were looking on the wrong side for us. It seems we had rounded a point and got caught in a current and carried into a bay. We had been warned to watch for currents but there had been no specific instructions about the nature of the currents.

Many thanks to those who have provided feedback. The SMB is definitely my next purchase before my next dive.

Just to provide additional information that some of you have questioned or commented.

1. Admittedly, I am AOW but have on less than 20 dives under my belt. However, my dive buddy is an OW instructor with hundreds of dives. We trust each other impeccably as we are also climbing partners and have shared many good and a small number of not so good climbs together.

2. The decision to attempt to return to the boat submerged was based on the possibility and assumption that bottom currents would be less than surface currents.

3. Our dive plan was to dive a location near the point of the main island that is bordered by strong currents on either side. The idea was to dive between the currents and use the currents as "borders". We obviously strayed too far from those borders and underestimated our ability to return to the boat. The captain lost track of our bubbles and upon our failure to return, searched the immediate area and chose to search the other side of the island instead of the side that we were diving.

4. Other dive teams aboard admitted that they faced strong currents upon surfacing but were closer to the boat. They were able to make it back to the boat, but were tired from the swim.

5. Rather than attempt to reach the main island that involved swimming against the current, we chose to use the current to our advantage and "vector" a path to an island downstream.

6. Our lack of additional safety equipment was due to the travel trip nature of our dive and use of rental equipment.

Once again thank you for the comments and criticism.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom