Resort/Dive Op/Boat all in one place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As I research possible dive destinations, I am surprised to find so many situations where you have to drive from the hotel to the dive shop, or from the dive shop to the boat. My first experience at a dive op was at Sunset House on Grand Cayman, where you walk from your room to the dive shop (about 50 feet), check in, get your tank, walk down to the pier (about 50 more feet), and get on the boat. I guess I'm spoiled now!

Are there other such venues available in the Caribbean, South Florida, or Cancun/Cozumel areas? Because if there are, that's where I'd consider going for a vacation.

Most of the ops in Jamaica are at the resorts, with some being all in inclusive to include 2 dives a day.

Little Cayman Beach Resort!

Great food, rooms, staff, and diving. My #1 favorite place to go for sure.

Here's a partial list of places that meet your criteria. There are others at many of these locations also - I'm listing ones I've personally seen.

What you're looking for is partial or full AI (all-inclusive) dive resorts.

Bonaire:
Buddy Dive
Capt' Don's Habitat
Divi Flamingo
Den Laman/Sand Dollar Condos - they share Bonaire Dive/Adventure.
Plaza Resort - slightly more than 50' - it's a big place.

Curacao:
Lions Dive
Lodge Kura Hulanda
Marriott Emerald Beach - hotel w/onsite dive operator.

Roatan:
Anthony's Key Resort
Barefoot Cay

Utila:
Laguna Beach
Deep Blue Utila

Every one listed above has some shore diving directly off the resort. Some better than others.

Some that are AI's but I've not been to:

Small Hope Bay Lodge, Andros
Blackbird Caye, Belize
Turneffe Island Resort, Belize
Scuba Club Cozumel, Cozumel
Cobalt Coast, Grand Cayman - technically they often shuttle you to the boat nearby.
Cocoview, Roatan
Luna Beach, Roatan

hth, review a dive travel website such as Scuba Diving Vacations - Caradonna Dive Adventures for more options.

Taking a group to Bonaire in May staying a Buddy Dive Resort. Even easier than sunset house to walk out of room to dock and get in and out of water.Ocean open for you 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Check out Las Rocas Resort (Roatan - Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center, Bay Islands of Honduras) on Roatan, Honduras. The bungalows, restaurant, and dive shop are all within steps of each other. Go check out Roatan Info - Roatan Hotels, Resorts, Diving, Maps, News, Real Estate, Pictures, Weather, Tours & Chat. for more info on the island.

Ambergris Caye, Belize is very convenient as well, with many dive shops right on the beach and hotels within a short walk. Go to Belize Vacations, Tours, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Maps, Real Estate for more info.

As I research possible dive destinations, I am surprised to find so many situations where you have to drive from the hotel to the dive shop, or from the dive shop to the boat. My first experience at a dive op was at Sunset House on Grand Cayman, where you walk from your room to the dive shop (about 50 feet), check in, get your tank, walk down to the pier (about 50 more feet), and get on the boat. I guess I'm spoiled now!

Are there other such venues available in the Caribbean, South Florida, or Cancun/Cozumel areas? Because if there are, that's where I'd consider going for a vacation.

Hotel Cozumel and Dive Paradise are almost like Sunset House. Like Sunset House you have a locker right down by the pier. There is shore diving right there. Hotel Cozumel/Dive Paradise can be booked as an all inclusive. It is a little further from the hotel to the pier but not much. The pier is across the street but there is a tunnel under the street to the dive op. I also would be able to recommend Anthony's Key on Roatan.

There are many resorts with dive ops right there in Cozumel and lot of really quality resorts and dive ops in Cozumel and Roatan to choose from. Finding one that fits what you are looking for will be difficult because there are so many good options to choose from.

Last edited:
Key largo Ramada and Holiday Inn Express are at the Marina. With in walking distance of several dive ops

Riding Rock Inn - San Salvador, Bahamas (inclusive packages)

In Curacao, add Breezes to the list. You can either dive with the house operator from the pier at the resort, or you can walk across the street and down a couple blocks to The Dive Bus (which is what we did). Mark from The Dive Bus offered to pick us up at the front door of Breezes, if we prefered.

In Cancun, we dive with Alvaro from AlwaysDiving.com. He picks us up on the pier. Most ops that we've had any contact with will pick you up at your resort, either on the pier or at the front door.

On Cozumel, we dive with Aldora Divers. They leave their pier and head south, towards the dive sites, stopping at the various resorts to pick divers off the piers. Most resorts on Cozumel also have an in-house dive op. If you use them, you'll be getting on the boat from their pier.

Back
Top Bottom