Resort course injuries

If you have taken a resort course, did you like it and did you get injured or hurt

• loved it but got injured

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • loved it and didnt get injured

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • hated it and got injured

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hated it and didnt get injured

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Recently a highly respected fellow instructor of mine claimed that a large proportion of the people that walked into his shop that had taken resort courses had recieved injuries, particularly ear injuries, that resort courses are dangerous and that is why he wouldnt teach them.

I on the other hand have taught many thousand resort courses and found injuries to be very rare.

I would like to know from those of you who have taken resort courses what your experiences are.

I was introduced to scuba at a Sandals resort in Jamaica and have done about 30 dives there on three different resorts/trips
I saw that they acted in a responsible way and followed reasonable safety procedures. Nothing being perfect I imagine there is place for improvement but I can say that safety is their prime concern.

PADI OW program taught and tested in a rigorous way, timed written exam, small group in water coaching, beginners never go deeper than 25-30 feet, two dives per day with surface intervals of at least 1 hour. Scubapro well maintained equipment, no diving on day of departure, upon arriving you do a shallow evaluation dive, whatever card you have. The deeper dive of the day is max 60 feet for those with proper qualification.
Depending on the group, if the DM feels everyone is capable, it could go a bit deeper.
For example we went down to 75 feet to observe a DC3 plane wreck.

Sure beats learning in a cold quarry.

Did 100 ft on my 3rd resort dive, then got certified and learned better. This thread would maybe work better in Basic Scuba.

Back
Top Bottom