resolution.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Question - I sometimes use my "picture it!" program to do cool edges and frames or when converting my pics to black and white, when I can't get good B&W results in PSE, this program will do the trick perfectly!.

When I do the work in PI! and save it and then go back to work with it in PSE I lose resolution. I notice it mostly when I put my © on the pic I usually use size 72...85....Pictures I have worked on with PI! I have to use 20 to 24....I don't resize when I save. So what happens to my picture? and why?

Aloha,
Lisa

PS: It is an older program version. I think 2000 or something like that. Could this have something to do with it?

I don't know enough about PI to even guess. I just started playing with it to do somne of those edges you do....yours are better than mine!

Not sure about those 2 progs, but if they have it, try using the channel mixer, in monochrome mode, you have much more control over the b/w conversion

azcaddman:
Not sure about those 2 progs, but if they have it, try using the channel mixer, in monochrome mode, you have much more control over the b/w conversion
Nope, PI! doesn't have a channel mixer. It is a much simpler program.
Any other ideas?

Does it kick down the DPI or does it drop it from 800x600 to something smaller like 640x480? Haven't used PI! so I'm not sure if there is an option somewhere where you can specify output settings...

Leesa, some of the simpler (read less expensive) programs discard data when converting to black and white. The camera records in (at least) three channels, Red, Green and Blue. That why 3MP cameras give you around 9MP files, 5MP cameras about 15MP etc.. Photoshop, and I guess PS Elements (which I never used) converts by adjusting the channels. Some programs just discard two and work with a single channel (hence you're going from 72dpi to 24 dpi in your web pics - 2/3 of the data is lost).

While this may well look okay on the screen, any enlargement or print will leave very much to be desired.

caveseeker7:
Leesa, some of the simpler (read less expensive) programs discard data when converting to black and white. The camera records in (at least) three channels, Red, Green and Blue. That why 3MP cameras give you around 9MP files, 5MP cameras about 15MP etc.. Photoshop, and I guess PS Elements (which I never used) converts by adjusting the channels. Some programs just discard two and work with a single channel (hence you're going from 72dpi to 24 dpi in your web pics - 2/3 of the data is lost).

While this may well look okay on the screen, any enlargement or print will leave very much to be desired.
Ok you lost me there somewhere. All converstions from 24+ bit color to BW (actually grayscale is what we are refering to here) are going to convert from 3 chanels to one. 24 bit color contains 3 channels, each 8 bits (256 shades) of red, green and blue. Grayscale contains 1 8 bit grey channel. (Ok there is 16 bit grayscale but only REALLY high end equipment can handle it and it's wasted on the human eye).

The 3 channels are converted to one channel by adding a percentage of each at a given pixel. I can't recall the exact values I used to use when I wrote imaging software but it's somewhere around 30% red, 60% green and 10% blue as a standard. Obviously for somthing like underwater photography it would be ideal to be able to adjust these values to account for the abundance of blue in the images.

This conversion in no way affects the DPI of the image. An 800x600 image will still be 800x600. Enlargments on the convertied image will look just as good as the origininal with the obvious exception of a lack of color. The file size may or may not change by 2/3rds depending on whether it is stored as 8 bit data or as 24 bit data with the red green and blue values equal for a given pixel.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom