residue on atomic mask skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amphiprion

Contributor
Reaction score
I've noticed that when my mask is dry there seems to be some sort of residue or film on the skirt. This residue doesn't appear when the mask is wet. I've washed with soap and water and it hasn't gone away. Also, I don't store the mask in heat or near chemicals.

I had an old mares mask with a gray silicone skirt and never noticed this issue. Does it sound like there is something wrong with my mask skirt or am I just noticing this because the skirt is supposed to be shiny and black?

I can't tell you whether it's normal, but I can say that both my and my wife's Atomic Subframes have the residue on them. Her's is about 1.5 years old and mine is about 3 and they both appear to have the same "amount" of residue. I've always assumed it was normal and I've never tried to remove it.

Try washing your mask with dishsoap in a dishpan. Use warm, not hot water, and scrub it with a soft brush. Ammonia diluted to 4 or 5 parts water to 1 ammonia is also useful. Either cleaner will rinse out of your mask easily.

Back
Top Bottom