Rescue Diver Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WgOaLnFg

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In another thread that I read, someone had said that it is wise to do between 50-60 dives before taking a rescue diving course.

Now, I'm a newbie diver. I just finished my OW three weeks ago, and I'm leaving tomorrow to go down to the Florida Keys, where I'll be doing my AOW, and EAN ("Enriched Air" or "Nitrox") specialty dives.

The guys that I'll be diving with have over 27 years of combined experiance (thats older than I am :) ) and are cavers. Now, I'm still stuck with the idea of caving, but I'm sure I'll at least do Cavern, but that has no relavance.

I believe that getting my Rescue Diver Certification, will only help me be able to assist someone, either my buddies, or another fellow diver in case an emergancy arises. I also believe that getting my RDC will only encourage me to dive more. Not so that I can help some if they are in trouble, but to have the knowledge and encouragement in myself to be able to do so.

So what exactly would be the point in waiting for 50-60 dives in your logbook?

My buddies and I are talking about taking our CPR & First Aid classes and possibly starting our RDC as early as November.

If I can get some good insite, maybe I'll wait until I do get some more dives under my belt.

Thanks!

This is an interesting question, I did my AOW directly after my OW aswell, and talking to my instructor after the AOW dives he seemed to think it would be fine (in fact he positively incoraged) to do the rescue class shortly afterwards.

I guess there might have been the implication that I would be diving in the mean time since the soonest rescue class was a good month or two after my AOW.

His sell on the course was it was as more about self rescue and aiding your buddy if something goes wrong.

It seems to me that at least understanding the basics of what to do in a bad situation can't hurt no matter what your skill level. If you wait 50 or 100 dives before taking the course are you not more at risk if something does go wrong during that initial period than need be?

Having said that I can also see it from the perspective of you really need a certain level of diving experience and "skill level" to get the most from the course.

I have yet to sign up for the course, but I might do it after I get back from vacation.

It'll be interesting to see what some of the more advanced divers here think.

I'm starting the Rescue Diver course today, so I've been thinking about this question.

I did OW about a year ago and completed AOW a few months later. I've now logged 80-odd dives and feel ready to start Rescue.

I can see two advantages to waiting:

1) I'm doing the course locally, in water where the viz is typically 1-2m (3-6ft). I wanted to be confident that everything else (dive skills, buddy skills, navigation) was second nature before I embarked on something new. I think I'll get more out of the course now than I would have done six months ago.

2) As I read through the book, many of the situations are familiar. I've done things that were... hmm, unwise. I've seen people doing things that might have got them into trouble. I've seen people struggling at the surface and told them to inflate their BC or use their snorkel... problem solved. A lot of the theory isn't really theory for me, it's stuff I've seen in practice.

I should add that I didn't start out as the most competent or confident diver... it's something I've had to work at. I'm sure other people get to where I'm at more quickly. Really I don't think it's the number of dives that's important, it's whether you feel ready to do the course. What has been right (I hope) for me may not be right for you... only you can tell.

Zept

For me personally, I wanted to get rescue certified rather quickly.

During my AOW class we were 110 feet down on a wreck. Towards the end of the dive I was low on air, my buddy got tangled in monofilament line and the divemaster was 50 feet ahead ascending to the line. Thankfully nothing bad happened. The dive ended without incident. Looking back, if something did happen, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have had the confidence or the skills to effectively help myself or my buddy. And I definitely wouldn't want to wait any longer to learn the skills needed to help myself, my buddy or another diver.

I hate the feeling of being helpless. I don't want to be in another situation like that wreck dive and feel helpless. I logged enough dives now that I feel extremely comfortable in the water, my buoyancy is far superior to what it was in my OW class and I feel ready for Rescue. I've got 22 dives logged and I'll be starting my rescue class in a few days. I just finished Medic First Aid last night. I think they're extremely valuable classes that will give you a huge boost in your confidence. The medic first aid class certainly did that for me, and I expect even more from the rescue class.

I don't think it's ever too early to learn the skills that will make you a safer diver.

The minimum requirement is 20 dive. There are not really any underwater dive skills involved other than the search pattern and recovery so I don't see why you can't do it sooner rather than later.

The Rescue Diver course whichever agency/flavour will only make you a better diver.

Go for it!

Jonathan

I found Rescue to be a very demanding class. I had to be independent enough to be able to enter & exit from the beach in very heavy surge. I had to manage myself & the "victim" in the current. It is not that I do not think a new diver is smart enough, but we have a term: Task Loading. It means that you have too many unfamiliar things to think about all at once. A person who still has to think about basic things may be overwhelmed. My concern would be the safety of the "victim." They get beaten up in the surf pretty bad.

I would recommend waiting till you have doen these 50-60 dives & then lots of your skills will be second nature. How long would it take to do 50 dives, anyway? If you are getting 3 in per weekend (one day's diving), you'll be ready to go in 17 weeks. (sounds like you have lots of other classes you want to take in the mean time.)

It is good to take classes & be a well-trained diver. We should all continue learning thruout our diving lives. However, the only way to become a good diver is by diving. YOur comfort in the water will make you & all around you safer.

While I can understand art.chicks concerns, there is no good reason to not learn some basic rescue skills, is the rescue class demanding? yes, would it be considered task loading to a newer diver? probably some, but lets get real folks, in a emergency you will be task loaded and its important you understand the stresses of that. In a emergency you dont get the luxury of deciding if your comfortable with dealing with the situation, you just react and hope you did your best.

I guess the real question is will you get more out of a rescue class if you wait until you are more comfortable. While its true you might be more comfortable performing a rescue if your comfortable in the water, does that mean the person who isnt comfortable in the water should they find themselves in the middle of a emergency, try to rescue someone because they arent as comfortable in the water as someone whos been diving for years?... If your life was in danger would you want some diver who never took a rescue class sitting thier without a clue what to do in a emergency? I sure wouldnt!.

Ryan Stone
IDCS

I agree with ArtChick. The Rescue Class has the most to offer those who have mastered more of the basic skills through experience in diving first. A diver that has trouble with bouyancy, controlling ascents, returning to a boat/shore under adverse conditions will not be an efficient rescuerer.

None of those factors may have contributed to Florida's experience, but Florida's adventure is one that any certified diver can and should be able to address. More to the point, those types of dives are better done after skills have been developed through diving.

This is a course about signficantly enhancing existing skills. If the skills aren't refined, the task loading ArtChick talks about could erase the gain.

Rescue is a great class but the training alone won't make one a safer diver or better buddy. I've seen rescue certified divers that I would not rely upon (even seen some panic and go to the hospitial), particularly those being prematurely rushed through Dive Master Programs. Neither of my two most trusted buddies have rescue, but they have a 1000 plus dives and the skills I trust in a buddy.

Don't get me wrong. I think everyone should take the Rescue Class if they can, but you get more out of it if you are ready. A few divers are ready after 20 dives. Most are not and would get more out of it by diving and mastering skills first.

I feel I should make it clear that I'm not in favor of divers jumping right into the rescue course after the required minimum number of dives. That's not the reason I'm taking the course.

The reason I'm taking the rescue course with so few dives is because I feel I'm ready for it. I'm very comfortable in the water, I'm very confident in my skills and my skills are far better now than when I finished my OW class. I also have the endorsement and encouragement of my instructor whom I trust and know has the training and experience.

The task loading art.chick mentioned isn't taught in OW or AOW for that matter. At least it doesn't appear to be in PADI's courses. I would much rather experience that task loading in a controlled situation, under the direction and supervision of an experienced instructor first; not off the side of a dive boat in the ocean with someone's life in my hands. That way I've experienced it, I know how I'll react and more importantly, I'll know what to do.

Personally, I'm taking this course because I feel I'm ready for it. It just so happens that I'm ready for it after only 20 or so dives. The next person may not be ready until after those 50-60 dives. Everyone's comfort level, experiences, skills and attitudes are different.

You should become rescue certified when you feel you're ready for it. Don't take the course just because you've got the minimum number of dives required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom