Rescue Diver and Red Cross Cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljwillia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All- (FYI-cross posted in Q&A for Certification Agencies)

My husband and I are scheduled for RD in July. I'm trying to find a class to satisfy the EFR primary and secondary requirements. Our local Red Cross offers the following:

"The Adult First Aid/CPR/AED course incorporates the latest science and teaches students to recognize and care for a variety of first aid emergencies such as burns, cuts, scrapes, sudden illnesses, head, neck, back injuries, heat and cold emergencies and how to respond to breathing and cardiac emergencies for victims about 12 years and older. Successful students will receive a certificate for Adult First Aid/CPR/AED valid for two years."

Will this satisfy the pre-req? PADI has a class for $150pp. The Red Cross class is $93pp.

I thought I remembered a thread discussing this some time back but I couldn't find.

Thanks all for your input!

I don't know how much discretion a shop has in what they accept, but I would check with the shop you are doing Rescue with for the final word. We ran into a situation some years back where a shop wouldn't accept something it seemed they should have (probably mostly because they wanted to sell their class, and we wound up not using them at all because they were kind of jerks.)

I do seem to remember the EFR class I eventually took through our dive shop integrated discussion on specifics related to diving situations that would not have been in a Red Cross class, while not technically required not a bad thing either.

Red Cross classes are accepted.

The Red Cross class meets the requirements for a Rescue Diver course.

DAN has one too, which I recently just completed. It's called DAN Basic Life Support, which can be done in combination with the Oxygen O2 provider course if you wish, which we did. I know the PADI course costs more than the Red Cross one, and the DAN probably costs more as well. From speaking with a person in my class who does these courses on a regular basis due to his work requirements, he said the DAN courses were the best put together compared to all the rest, including the St. John's Ambulance ones. Plus, the DAN and PADI ones will gear the content towards scuba diving, whereas the Red Cross ones will not. Just relaying what I was told.

Hello All- (FYI-cross posted in Q&A for Certification Agencies)

My husband and I are scheduled for RD in July. I'm trying to find a class to satisfy the EFR primary and secondary requirements. Our local Red Cross offers the following:

"The Adult First Aid/CPR/AED course incorporates the latest science and teaches students to recognize and care for a variety of first aid emergencies such as burns, cuts, scrapes, sudden illnesses, head, neck, back injuries, heat and cold emergencies and how to respond to breathing and cardiac emergencies for victims about 12 years and older. Successful students will receive a certificate for Adult First Aid/CPR/AED valid for two years."

Will this satisfy the pre-req? PADI has a class for $150pp. The Red Cross class is $93pp.

I thought I remembered a thread discussing this some time back but I couldn't find.

Thanks all for your input!

It satisfied my instructor for my RD class.

Thank you all for your input. As always, this board is a wealth of information and assistance!

Back
Top Bottom