rescue dive course, coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dawny40

Reaction score
I am doing a rescue dive course in Cozumel. Just not sure which
dive shop to go to for the best class. Would love some input on this.
I have tried a search but came up empty. If anyone has done the course in
Cozumel please let me know where and how you liked it.
thanks
:hb2: :butterfly :yl2jump:

Didn't have the pleasure of taking my rescue class in cozumel.... if you talk/email someone at each dive shop, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. how long will the class take? (Lots of pool time is key for learning all your rescue skills. My boyfriend just took rescue and he spent 4 evenings in the pool learning skills, along with apprx. 12 hours of lecture. You should have at least one skills class on the beach, maybe two if they ask you to do lifeguard skills as well.... plus at least 2 skills dives from a boat. You should have to act as both rescuer and victim for additional learning.)
2. what skills will they have you learn? (You should learn multiple techniques from the boat and from the beach - cpr on the ocean surface, hauling an unconscious diver out of a pool, using O2, multiple situtations in which to use a backboard, how to call in an emergency from a boat, etc.)
3. Are you required to have CPR/First aid certification? (this is a must-you can't go through rescue without it! I was actually required to get lifeguard cert. as well.)

I would just say try to contact the dive shops and get as much information from them as possible. If they are hazy on what you'll be doing, I'd say they're probably going to half-*** the class.

Have fun!!!! Rescue is a blast! :)
Taryn

Dawny40:
I am doing a rescue dive course in Cozumel. Just not sure which
dive shop to go to for the best class. Would love some input on this.
I have tried a search but came up empty. If anyone has done the course in
Cozumel please let me know where and how you liked it.
thanks
:hb2: :butterfly :yl2jump:
We just got back from a great trip in Cozumel and stayed with Janie and Oliver who run a B&B and TEX MEX divers which is primarily an IANTD facility but they will also certify you as NAUI, rather than the pool sessions which are well and good but not really where you would be performing most of your rescues they do all the training in the ocean. http://www.laslunas.com They are a small and personal operation, I expect that you would more than likely be doing your training with Oliver I highly recommend not only their accommodations but also their extremely friendly and helpful approach to local diving and training. If you need more information please feel free to PM me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom